Advanced Space Crusade Isolation Project

Due to spending a bit more time at home recently I happened upon a trip down memory lane to Advanced Space Crusade. I had a copy back in the early 90s. It was going cheap and I bought it for the Tyranid warrior models. I only played one game, because I was more into 2nd Ed. 40K back then than "boardgames". However, the rules a remarkably detailed and cover an imperial boarding attack on a Tyranid Hive ship (before too many of its inhabitants wake from hibernation. I had long since gotten rid of my copy, but the rules are available online now. So I started with delving thru my bits box for models that would fit the game (hours of fun). I found enough bits for 5 orks, a Terminator, an Imp Guardsman (kind of) and some rippers and spore mines. The game has rules for rescuing strangers captured by the Tyranids and Mind Slaved troops (such as Orks and Chaos Marines)….. 2nd Ed. was a golden age of wargaming 😀

Here are my Mindslaved Orks , an Inquisitor and a Navy Pilot (in a bit of peril)

P4090723.JPG

P4130735.JPG

P4130739.JPG

Thanks, I downloaded the rules and printed the board tiles and cards. Even with some redesigned boards that did away with the funky colours of the original, I still wasn't satisfied with the 2D nature of the board (like I said I'm more into wargames than boardgames). So I decided to break up a foam packing case I had in the shed and work on a 3D board set (using the printed boards as at template). After marking in the grid I textured the board by pressing things like a Tyranid Warrior chest into the foam. I covered the walls with air dry clay and then tried to make them look organic. Here is my first try at  board tile.

P4170743.JPG

P4170744.JPG

P4180745.JPG

• Like 1

Ok, I had a few delays due to the mistake of buying a cheaper brand of air dry clay, which turned out to be 50% actual clay (kaolin, rather than cellulose of most air drys), which took longer to dry, and cracked and shrank when it finally did so. Anyways, after a few repairs and coats of paint, here are the game boards

Tablesetup.jpg

P4260756.JPG

P4260751.JPG

• Like 1

Love the board.  It's all gribbly in all the right places.

Shame about the air-drying clay mixup.  

Kaolin is the fine white clay used in porcelain.  It's named after the same region in China that gave us kung-fu monks - and why the good, really fine porcelain was referred to as "fine china".

It's also used in many toothpastes as part of the "polish" part of them (it can be used as a very fine abrasive).  I used to work in ceramics.

Yeah, I first discovered the merits of air drying clay a few months ago when I used it to convert some cheap McDonalds smurf houses for a miniature game I was making for my daughter.

It had the right amount of tackiness to stick to any surface, and was very shapable, as long as you keep your fingers and tools wet. Because the original stuff I used (EC) was mostly cellose, it dries to a dine detail paper mache. But apparently each brand has its own secret ingredients, and Mont Marte was mostly fine clay. It did the job but was messier and it shrank and cracked in places.

McDonalds-Happy-Meal-Orange-Smurf-House-Toy.jpg

smurf village.JPG

• Like 2