Magos Kasen Paints Random Stuff

Magos Kasen

So for the last little while I've been collecting and painting some 15mm WW2 stuff, a mix of PSC and FOW mostly. I'm not super happy with most of the first attempts I've made, so I'm revisiting my methods. Painted a base of German grenadiers today and I'm much happier with the result. Especially the bases, which have come out a treat with very little work. 

I'll try and update this as often as I have anything to show, but my work on this project is kind of sporadic. But we will see. Hopefully this thread will keep me motivated!

20200222_221806.jpg

20200222_221730.jpg

Edited by Magos Kasen
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Dacote said:

Camouflage at 15mm? you crazy! 

In some ways it's actually easier than at 28mm - as the impression counts rather than specific details of it - and there's less of the model to cover.

And in that same way at 28mm it's easier to do camo than on a 1/16th scale display piece.

I have some Australian troops from Flames of War floating around somewhere, perhaps you have inspired me to take a break from the Heroic 28mm and try my hand at the smaller guys?

Please keep your updates coming and any tips you have figured out on painting the smaller scale I would be most appreciative.

Thanks mate, 15mm is a great scale, especially for historical I find. My main tip from painting a fair few is to really push your contrast much more than usual for 28mm. You basically have to exaggerate things to accommodate the smaller, less detailed models. 

Another night, another panther. This time with accompanying begleit grenadiers. Lots of photos of ww2 tanks show troops riding 'tank desant', and I wanted to try and replicate that. Typically such troops would probably dismount before any actual combat (on account of the high velocity rounds ricocheting around them), but we'll just say this panther was late arriving to the fight. 

Particularly happy with the addition of the panzerschreck to the cleaning rod tube. 

20200228_002429.jpg

20200228_002341.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

More non ww2 stuff I'm afraid. After spending the last few weeks moving house, I've finally got my desk set up again. Time to paint. 

I'm a big fan of the GW contrast paints. I picked a few up on release and was sufficiently impressed, and have slowly accumulated more. They are perfect for bulk troops that don't need to be perfect, just done. 

This unit of House Mormont spearmen took about three hours for the whole lot. Not too bad. 

20200328_230302.jpg

• Like 1

The skin, leather, wood and hair are straight contrast. The green is contrast with one edge highlight. The metallics are Iron Warriors washed with grey contrast, edge highlighted stormhost silver. 

There are a few things to go back and tidy up, but the whole process is insanely fast. I find myself frequently time poor these days, and being able to finish a whole unit over a couple short sessions during a week is a godsend for actually getting gaming stuff ready. 

Thanks mate, they're really good tools, especially for painting basic infantry. They have their limits, but for what they are good at, they're really good. 

Case in point, this guy was painted in about an hour (not including the shield...). All contrast plus basic highlights. At the same time I painted him, I base coated four others as well. 

20200401_234622.jpg

20200401_234651.jpg

20200401_234714.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More miscellany! Spent the weekend working on some frostgrave stuff. Using it as a gateway drug to get a couple DnD playing friends into minis. I'm playing a sigilist wizard. All done in contrast paints, except for the scroll and her makeup. 

Also been working on some more terrain, to help fill up the table. This is most of an evening's work. All built from cork tile. Super cheap and easy to work with, super realistic looking finished effect. 

20200411_151320.jpg

20200413_224405.jpg

20200413_224435.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, been way too long since I updated this. Painted a fair bit over the last few months, but my lack of a photo set up and crappy phone camera have disincentivised actually taking photos. 

Today was a bit of a win though, so I figured I'd make the effort to share. Long story short, me and airbrushing have never got along. I consider myself a reasonably experienced painter, not the best, but someone who is game to give most techniques and tools a try. Airbrushing has been my nemesis since I first dabbled in it some ten years ago. It was always too inconvenient, too unnecessary, and despite generally being a careful user of whatever tools or machines I own, I could never seem to look after one properly.

Anyway, since I paint historicals nowadays, I figured I should dust the old compressor off and try again. I'm pretty happy with the results, crude though they may be. I need to get the hang of doing finer lines so I can create more nuanced/detailed camo schemes. But for the first attempt in many years, I'm satisfied. 

Excuse the crummy photos, my camera has a fit if I try and photo against a white backdrop, so the box the mini came in will have to suffice.

20200718_204915.jpg

20200718_204940.jpg

20200718_205016.jpg

• Like 6