Oz Tabletop Gaming
Sign in to follow this  
Krefey

[GW] 9th edition 40k

I'm cautiously optimistic. Aside from some of the unclear or dumb rules shenanigans that get FAQd almost as soon as the book is out, the biggest issue I have is army book bloat. To play GSC, i need the GSC codex, the most recent FAQ, the relevant Vigilus book and the Greater Good book. I know there are ways around this, but still. New ed's not going to fix this.

And the new trailer is the tits, never thought I'd be impressed by a scarab swarm.

3 hours ago, Thenothas said:

I'm cautiously optimistic. Aside from some of the unclear or dumb rules shenanigans that get FAQd almost as soon as the book is out, the biggest issue I have is army book bloat. To play GSC, i need the GSC codex, the most recent FAQ, the relevant Vigilus book and the Greater Good book. I know there are ways around this, but still. New ed's not going to fix this.

And the new trailer is the tits, never thought I'd be impressed by a scarab swarm.

Interestingly, part of the reveal was the announcement of a 40k app, which lets you build armies (amongst other things).  Buying your codex lets you use the app for you army for free.

More stuff this morning.

No sign of the new devastators that were seen in the 'potatocam', but the rest looks very nice. Those bladeguard veterans look great. Not sold on the 'Judiciar' - the fella with the square sword. 

And there's new Necrons, too - lots of them. From the glamour shot in that article, there's a handful of new units and a brand new monolith.

Those new necrons.  SO many new models!

From what I can see:

- Silent King

- new monolith

- new warriors

- new c'tan

- new destroyer variant (or an existing destroyer variant with new model)

- new close combat dudes, maybe body guards (they have cylindrical bodies)

- new floaty character dude

- new lord type (skorpekh lord)

- giant war of the worlds walker thingy

- smaller war of the worlds walker thing

- bunch of terrain stuff

- new flayed ones maybe?

image.png.41dea28eacc19daf17901051852d2fed.png

terrain

19 hours ago, Krefey said:

Interestingly, part of the reveal was the announcement of a 40k app, which lets you build armies (amongst other things).  Buying your codex lets you use the app for you army for free.

This is really the best news. I truly hate that so many multi-book systems don't include codes for the app version of the same product. 
Marvel Comics did it years ago, so I don't know why everyone is so slow to get on board with it.

Otherwise, Necron's look amazing. Some small changes make a massive difference.

The cinematic trailer was also pretty damn awesome.

I'm interested to see how the app works - my big criticism of 8th edition is rules decentralisation and the difficulties with having a player learn their army.

Take space marines - if you wanted to have all options possible you would need:

• Army Book
  • Supplement
  • Vigilus Defiant
  • Psychic Awakening
  • Chapter Approved '19

Then when it comes to gameplay you have to consider:

• Army rules
  • Chapter Tactic
  • Stratagems
  • Tactical Doctrine
  • Warlord Trait
  • Relic

Unless you play a lot, that is a lot to remember. At least it's fairly straightforward.

That new Monolith model looks really cool,  although I'm not sure about having the portal splitting the front in half and the arms on top look a little too long.

Seems like some core rules are going to change: 

Deployment - reworked reserves system - I hope my GSC still have more options than anyone else for surprise and flanking attacks

Tanks - Shoot in combat still doesn't make tanks all that

Flyers - needed fixing

Scalable and narrative games - meh

Terrain - This to me is the big one. There hasn't been an edition yet that got terrain right - 2nd and 7th got close, we'll see

I would like to see linear terrain matter at all. Currently it either blocks line of sight or you have to be in it - which invalidates a lot of terrain.

I did like the mention for a narrative campaigns. I know they've existed for a while, but the support sounds cool.

Though yeah, streamlining the nightmare that is the current rule system will be a great achievement, though I don't see it as one that's impossible. 

58 minutes ago, Vulkan209 said:

I would like to see linear terrain matter at all. Currently it either blocks line of sight or you have to be in it - which invalidates a lot of terrain.

Agreed.  Terrain in 8th is almost pointless.

6 minutes ago, Krefey said:

Agreed.  Terrain in 8th is almost pointless.

I haven't played it, but I hear the ICT rules are just another level of not quite getting it right. Magic boxes or somesuch

Tis a pity the starter box isn't something like Sisters vs Crons. But other than that, looking good.

Although, there's no way that image of all those crons is what is in a starter box for an edition.

That new marine model tho? With the big weird flat ended sword, that guy looks pretty awesome.

1 minute ago, stinkingyeti said:

That new marine model tho? With the big weird flat ended sword, that guy looks pretty awesome.

Bondage Boi? with the black studded outfit, gimp mask, chains and off the shoulder leather robe? And the big executioner's sword.

I saw him called a Judicar, which is Latin for Judge funnily enough. Been a long time since marines actions have been policed by an MP type.

20 minutes ago, stinkingyeti said:

Tis a pity the starter box isn't something like Sisters vs Crons. But other than that, looking good.

Although, there's no way that image of all those crons is what is in a starter box for an edition.

I like everything about it *apart* from the head.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 11:39 AM, Thenothas said:

Terrain - This to me is the big one. There hasn't been an edition yet that got terrain right - 2nd and 7th got close, we'll see

The area terrain rules circa 3rd-5th editions was simple and easy to manage. See 3" in , see 3" out, cant see through etc.

8th ed true terrain/los rules are stupid and I dont think 9th is going to improve on them much at all.

I'm eager for this.  Giving serious consideration for getting back into the game with the new edition after a couple of editions off.

This said, if the game is still all about strategems and selecting this particular formation to unlock that buff and and powerup and so on then I'll probably keep my old valhallans in storage.

18 hours ago, Kn'Thrak said:

This said, if the game is still all about strategems and selecting this particular formation to unlock that buff and and powerup and so on then I'll probably keep my old valhallans in storage.

I am sure the 'I deploy tactically the same every game so i am within my reroll bubble of triple shooty strategem awesomeness' wont change which is a pity.