[GW] 9th edition 40k

Krefey

2 hours ago, Mango said:

I am sure the 'I deploy tactically the same every game so i am within my reroll bubble of triple shooty strategem awesomeness' wont change which is a pity.

But if modifiers don't stack any more beyond +1/-1 , that type of deployment will not necessarily be optimal. The new terrain rules might even the playing field even more even. I never played with the 'magic box' idea in a game, but the idea seems pretty wack. 

• 2 weeks later...

Huh I wonder if things like the Tau marker lights will have exceptions...

Not played since 6th edition, and now live in a rural town with only one other guy I know who plays but it sure would be fun to give 9th a shot... I've only got about 600pts of dusty IG though!

It sure will! I'm also in talks with a mate to finally get our IG vs savages "Rourkes Drift" game happening that we talked about for years. Looks like I'll be using my WFB lizardmen and their beasties as ork boyz, nobz, killer kanz etc.

Honestly the terrain rules teaser sounds a bit overly dogmatic and rigid...

Seriousquestion from someone who barely played 6e+, why did cover saves as a special type of invuln ala 5e go away?

Edited by Plasman

1 hour ago, Plasman said:

Honestly the terrain rules teaser sounds a bit overly dogmatic and rigid...

Seriousquestion from someone who barely played 6e+, why did cover saves as a special type of invuln ala 5e go away?

No idea, because they re-worked the core rules completely?  Terrain in 8th ed was mostly pointless anyway.

22 minutes ago, Plasman said:

I guess I mean adding to an armour save makes cover stronger for elite units, whereas the "cover is a special invuln save" makes it work for light units that suffer from commonplace -1AP.

That's probably it when you put it like that.  Having terrain provide an "invun" save gave a disproportionate survivability for low cost models.

5 hours ago, Krefey said:

That's probably it when you put it like that.  Having terrain provide an "invun" save gave a disproportionate survivability for low cost models.

Which I think is fairer and makes more sense to be handing out small chances for chaff to survive heavy hits rather than elite troops getting that extra armour padding against -2 and -3AP. I dunno I just liked the 5e mechanic, made cover saves feel like they related to target obscuration better, and even terminators could get a hail Mary against AP2 wounds.

36 minutes ago, Plasman said:

Which I think is fairer and makes more sense to be handing out small chances for chaff to survive heavy hits rather than elite troops getting that extra armour padding against -2 and -3AP. I dunno I just liked the 5e mechanic, made cover saves feel like they related to target obscuration better, and even terminators could get a hail Mary against AP2 wounds.

Terminators already had a 5++ invun though, didn't they?  Or was that in a later edition?  If you want to do cover saves as an invun, then I'd be suggesting 6+, maybe 5+ saves at best.  4+ and 3+ was just too much.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so a summary of the changes we've seen so far for 9th ed:

- Characters only benefit from the "Look out sir" rule (i.e. can't be targeted) if they are within 3" of another unit.  So you can't have your character sitting there in the open with another unit hiding behind a wall being "technically" closer to the enemy.

- If you declare a multi charge and fail to roll high enough to be able to engage *all* units you declared a charge against, you fail the charge and do not move

- multiple terrain rules changes Dense Cover - can claim cover if there is no way to draw a line between attacker and defender's base without it crossing a "dense terrain" featre (eg if you're in a forest).  This does not apply to models within 3" of that terrain piece or within the terrain piece as long as the LOF doesn't cross another terrain piece with the rule.

- there will be some core primary objectives, but optional secondary objective you get to choose in order to score VPs

- overwatch is now a 1CP strategem (and there appears to be an equivalent for melee when units flee).

- There is a new strategem that allows you to risk fleeing combat if you are technically surrounded and would have been destroyed or unable to flee otherwise.

- blast weapons are "back".  No templates, just guaranteed hits based on target unit size.

- vehicles and monsters can now fire into units that have engaged them in close combat during their shooting phase.  There is a -1 penalty to hit and blast weapons cannot be used in this manner

- vehicles no longer suffer the -1 to hit penalty for moving and shooting.

- they are starting a Horus Heresy style novel series based on the Indomitus crusade, to expand the background / advance the story.  Main difference being we don't know what is going to happen at the "end" yet.

I think that about covers all the stuff I've seen on Warhammer Community.  I've likely missed a few snippets from streams and what not.

It sounds like "hoards"/regular infantry really have it stacked against them this edition, unless there's going to be some more favourable rules coming. Otherwise I don't think the Blast 6 should have kicked in until 15+ models for example...

Vehicles firing into combat is super awesome, hull and sponson flamers finally acting like they should. I wonder if vehicles can disengage close combat freely by just driving away...

To be honest I miss 5th edition things like cover acting as an invuln save, and the vehicle armour system including the ability to damage weapons etc. Really not a fan of flashlights being able to damage the heaviest vehicles on a 6+. But then again I suppose that's the edition I played most so there will be some rose tinted glassed. I'm a more fun and atmosphere than rules and balance kind of guy though...

Edited by Plasman

5 minutes ago, Plasman said:

It sounds like "hoards"/regular infantry really have it stacked against them this edition, unless there's going to be some more favourable rules coming. Otherwise I don't think the Blast 6 should have kicked in until 15+ models for example...

I'm not sure about this.  I think it will depend on just how the new terrain rules affect things.  It looks like there are a lot of big changes in that area.

I think hordes really have taken a hit overall - the lengthy game style they demand seems out of favour, but will be interesting to see whether other changes somehow work to balance out and encourage some use of them? 

The changes to the look out sir rule are very welcome. 

Unit coherency I'm not so sold on - pretty clear that it is intending to try to remove daisy chaining for screens/buff access (which I don't disagree with - a model being able to access a -1 to hit protection buff that was 20" away from the source with a 3" range was pretty gamey. But I wonder if the mechanic couldn't have been more around the range of a unit's footprint (e.g. the maximum distance between the furthest models in a unit being xx).

The ability for 'big things' to fire into combat idea is good, but almost feel like it needed a little more distinction between say a carnifex (which can just move its arm to shoot the marine that is trying to kill it, versus the turret of the leman russ battletank being able to effectively target the same marine at close range...