New *minimum* table sizes for 40k

Krefey

So, GW put up a list of proposed *minimum* table sizes for 40k based on points limits.  The main change is that instead of being 48" wide, the minimum is now 44" wide.

Apparently some people aren't coping with this change or the fact it's a minimum amount, so they can keep on using the old 48" tables / mats they have.  I figured it's probably been done to make it easier to play on a dining table or something to make the game a bit more accessible to new players.

Is anyone concerned about the size change?  If so, why?  I'm curious as to the thinking.

I can't see this being an issue. Kill Team boards are 22" wide, I'm guessing this makes it easier to put multiple printed boards together to make a table. 

The propensity of some vocal nerds to get outraged and angry over the slightest change is nothing new. 

Given deployment is generally a fixed distance between armies, the depth of the table shouldn't be an issue. Maybe if Reserves gets a tweak and you are popping up behind them, the distance might be important enough to require a minimum. Six Bolter Discipline Aggressors up the hooter could ruin your whole day

I think MK has the way of it.

Expect some terrain boxes with very specific rules for each piece of whatever, much like they did for Kill Team.

8th had rules for some of the terrain, but people only used them a bit or sometimes because we all had our own.

GW could push for a standard layout (like Warcry) or...

how's this? they have a system where each player brings half a board (22" x 30") and terrain to use like Underworlds. 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Blackhearts Reaver said:

I've heard it might be related to the Maximum US postage size for cylinders. >>> ie GW is getting into the Neoprene mat business since it has got away from them....

Can't be post size as yanks can get 6*4 neoprenes today.

I'm guessing it's based on cardboard printing from China - someone's worked out the optimal size to order makes layouts slightly less than 6*4 - the companies that produce boards for boardgames would have some standard sizes and they're probably metric and don't quite size up.