Urban Tau

Caliginous

Hi all,

I have been slowly amassing a large Tau collection to paint in a scheme I've always wanted to do. The look and feel of the army is inspired less by the Japanese "gundam" aesthetic - which I hate, and more of hard sci-fi, such as the future scenes in The Terminator and the Aliens Colonial Marines.

I actually started the project with probably the two most ambitious pieces. First, my kit-bashed Sun Shark/Razorshark bomber - made from a Sun Shark kit and 1/48 Mil-24 Hind. This was the first real kitbash I have done with two completely different models, and I'm happy how it came out, even though after what I'd guess was probably 100 hours of work, I kind of abandoned it because I was sick of working on it. The real challenge came from getting a Piranha cockpit to fit into the Hind fuselage - this alone took I'd say half the build time. However I had the look in my mind of a see-through canopy with an orange tint, so that's what I worked towards - if I'd gone for a opaque canopy it would have taken half the time. There's an absolute mass of plasticard on here as well, most of which you can't see so I suppose that's a good thing. Anyway, I hope you like it.

WIP shots of my second largest piece in the army, the Sturmsurge. I'm working on this now, almost up to the oil-wash stage. I've also finished my test model for the infantry. This was done all with dry-brushing because I hate edge highlighting and I do whatever I can to avoid it these days. Not perfect, but not too bad either and pretty quick. And no edge-highlighting.

Still to go I've got:

2x Riptides

2 x Ghostkeels

3 x Devilfish

4 x Broadsides

6 x Stealth suits

30 x Fire Warriors

30 x Pathfinders

**** me haha.

Cheers

Cal

Tau Hind 1.jpg

Tau Hind 2.jpg

Tau Hind 3.jpeg

Tau Hind 3.jpg

Tau Hind 4.jpg

Tau Hind 5.jpg

image0(1).jpeg

image1.jpeg

Edited by Caliginous
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just painted about 20 lenses (And even then I ignored some) and I think I’m ready for a scotch or three. The destroyer missiles (the four missiles under the main missile banks) have caused me all sorts of problems weirdly. I just can’t get the colours right. I actually stripped the paint on them by rubbing isopropyl alcohol with a q-tip and then using toothpicks to get the paint off. I’d tried so many colours on them the details had actually obscured. That’s why they are looking a little rough. Anyway - once they are done I just need to finish the base and he’s done. 

D43D9063-D71B-4C9D-B6B7-4B63F690B319.jpeg

• Like 4

• 4 months later...