Oz Tabletop Gaming
Sign in to follow this  
spiderken17

Hello from a gamer from way back

Hey guys, my name is Ken and I have been out of the hobby for 15 year now at least. I used to game in high school during the 90's but when I left school I didn't really have anyone in my area to game with so concentrated on painting and model building which has always been my favourite part of the hobby. I was always building models with my dad growing up and I then became a spray painter as I figured it was like building a giant model. Since then, like many wife/kids/renovations have taken over life but my children are a growing up and I am starting to have a bit more free time. I have still been reading the novels all this time (I have heaps) but I packed my miniatures, White Dwarf mags and source books away many years ago. 

Recently my son discovered my old stuff and he has shown an interest in 40K, especially space marines. My father, who still builds models, lives nearby so we go there regularly and he has always shown an interest in plastic models from an early age. I took him to the local Warhammer store and he loved it. The nice bloke in the store gave him a space marine miniature to paint and we got home and assembled it and he painted it straight away. My old Citadel paints were still good to use as well!

I have since broken out my old Hero Quest game and we nutted out some basic rules so the whole family could play. I now have my wife, 4 and 6 year old playing!

I will apologise in advance for the many questions I may ask as I have been out of the hobby for so long a lot of things have changed (Roboute Guilliman is alive?! What are the Imperial Guard called?).

I am hoping I can build this into a hobby I can share with my son like I used to build plastic models with my dad.

Cheers, Ken 

• Like 1

Welcome!  Feel free to ask any questions you want (yes Roboute is alive again *technically he never died per se 😛 And the Guard are referred to as the Astra Militarum for IP reasons).

Thanks, I am starting to read up on stuff online and trying to figure out what all the armies are called now, in both 40k and Warhammer.

space marines, chaos space marines, sisters of battle are the same. Are the Eldar still called that? Dark eldar? Why are Imperial Guard called Astra Militarum. There is Adeptus Mechanicus now, how about Orks, Tyranids, Necrons, Daemons, Tau? Any changes there?

Warhammer  is even more confusing, Is Age of Sigmar set before or after the old Warhammer? Are there still Empire, Bretonnia, Dwarves, Tomb Kings, Vampires, Lizardmen, Chaos Warriors and Demons, Ogres, Orcs, Beastmen, High/Dark/Wood Elves, Skaven?

Sorry for all the questions, there isn't really a catch up on the last 20 years of Warhammer and 40K universe pages. 

What skirmish games are still around? I used to play Necromunda which was my favourite. Being a painter more than a gamer painting fewer unique models rather than bulk units always appealed to me. Mordheim came out not long before I stopped. It had some good miniatures in it that I remember painting.

Eldare are Aeldari, Dark Eldar are Druhkari.  Orks, Tyranids, Necrons Daemons and Tau are all still the same.  Pretty sure Astra Militarum is just "Star Military" or something but a unique name so they can claim the IP.

Age of Sigmar is set *after* the Old World.  Basically, Archaon blew up Old Warhammer and now there are a bunch of realms that everyone is fighting over.  I'm not super familiar with Age of Sigmar though.

Skirmish wise, Necromunda got a re-release a few years ago. Kill Team is another skirmish game for 40k. GW have a bunch of "board  game" type skirmish games too.  Particularly for Age of Sigmar.

Did some reading today on the Warhammer Old World, man that is long an complex. I at least have a better idea of what is happening there. Next, 40K universe recent history. 

Finally got all my old parts out. Turns out past Ken is as OCD as present Ken! I used to buy individual sprues from GW when you could still do that so I had a large variety of parts for various projects, mainly Space Marines, Inquisitor or Legion of the Damned stuff, Necromunda gangs or Mordheim warbands. Going through it there is some cool stuff for conversions. I remember my last modelling plan before putting it all away was to build a squad (of 5) space marines from each of the main 18 chapters using things from various Warhammer and 40K sprues. I tried to stick to plastic where possible with the occasion metal weapon or what not as it was so much more time consuming to make figures from metal.

spacer.png