Mortal Realms subscription purchase model

Plasman

Yeah I nabbed a copy of #1 from the newsagents for my girls.  They've been playing it.

The breakdown $ I'd seen was in UK£ and was better than retail, but with the conversion to Aussie $ and taking into account discounts available through online stores it's probably not worthwhile.

I am interested to see how it handles teaching the rules of a full game over time.  At the moment watching the girls play, I've not seen the Chainrasps lose a "game".

IMG_20200815_103600606.jpg

9 hours ago, GT said:

The breakdown $ I'd seen was in UK£ and was better than retail, but with the conversion to Aussie $ and taking into account discounts available through online stores it's probably not worthwhile.

I would have subbed to this if it was monthly.  I like the idea of a controlled spend for a monthly hobby supply, regardless of how that value compares to a purchase.

At $20 a week I think that's too much of an outlay.

• Like 2

i think unless you want both armies or have someone to split with them or a newsagents that can grab you only the editions you want its of questionable worth.  especially the discounts to Aus retail when you can still buy things at a similar discount to retail.

if they were $14.99 in line with the UK RRP it would probably be a different question.

Edited by Shinigami_Josh

On 8/21/2020 at 10:50 PM, Kn'Thrak said:

I would have subbed to this if it was monthly.  I like the idea of a controlled spend for a monthly hobby supply, regardless of how that value compares to a purchase.

At $20 a week I think that's too much of an outlay.

One of the four options for subscribing is a monthly delivery of four weeks of packs.  Gives you two late and two early compared to those that get one a week from the newsagents, if that makes sense.

Still $80 for that once a month hit.

I would have liked for us to be able to have the option for the premium subscription, with the four extra factions of stuff.

• 4 months later...

As a Nighthaunt and aspiring Stormcast player, I figured I'd take the plunge on a subscription and set myself the target of painting everything from each monthly consignment before the next arrives.

I'm enjoying the drip feeding of core elements for both factions into my collection (albeit falling behind on the painting target because I'm rasily distracted)

It looks cost effective over time, but if I were approaching either faction competitively, I'd probably prefer to spend that money on building specific lists.

Getting scenery with it is neat and that's seeing use in other games, like when my partner and I play Marvel Crisis Protocol. I really liked the mausoleum set and find I don't have much time for building terrain from scratch - so it's a convenience for us.

That said, Auspost had already lost one of my subscription boxes around Christmas. To their credit, Hatchette replaced it in full very quickly.

I do wonder what the target audience for this system is though.  For a kid's magazine its not cheap, the content in the magazine is very entry-level. Casual gamers with disposable income I guess?

• 1 year later...

Hah so I popped into the local news agents today, which I almost never do, because I wanted some glue and was curious to see if they stocked any miniature related magazines. I was surprised to find the imperium magazine starter packs up the rear of the store, six dollars for two Indomitus figures, six dice and a measuring stick. I bought two of course. No idea how long they have been out on shelves, but was interesting to see. The news agency had two white dwarf mags on the shelf too, so perhaps I should commence with my plan on trying to form a local club...

I have had mixed experiences with Hachette.

i went through the entirety of Conquest - which was the previous 40K magazine that was built around 8th Edition, and the 8th Ed starter box: Space Marines (mostly Primaris) against Death Guard (with a sprinkling of generic Chaos).
Value for Money was really good as I wanted both halves (especially as the Space Marines were all generic, so although sold as Ultramarines, they had no identifying symbology on them) - though the "premium" upgrade was ridiculously underwhelming.
I mostly had no issues - i think 1 delivery went missing, and one delivery arrived damaged, but an email to support fixed things without too much issue (they just take forever to respond to messages.)
but i'd heard horror stories about the company, so expected a lot worse...

i did then sign up to Mortal Realms - and this was when things went sideways for me.
i signed up to start with issue 5, as i found the first 4 magazines in my newsagent in pretty similar circumstances to Plasman.
but despite the wording on the subscription form - they screwed me out of the subscription bonuses. they actually changed their website wording when i complained, and got the ACCC involved. (basically, it comes down to the wording of things - it was initially something like subscribe and receive..." later changed to "subscribe before issue 5, and receive...")
after i complained, they subsequently made it really hard to cancel - i think i received 2 parcels after submitting my cancellation request, which i popped back in the post box as "refused delivery" (on advice from the ACCC), and it then took a few months before i received a refund.
Now that we're at the other end of things though, i do wish i'd kept my subscription going, as i do have an interest in AOS, and it would've been a good way of building up a quick Stormcast and Night Haunt army, but i guess at the time, my emotions got the better of me, and i cancelled in anger.

i am still a little tempted by this new magazine series too - in pure value of models terms, you save about 45% on RRP model costs (before you start even looking at the paints, brushes, and other tools), so the value for money is definitely there - except this time around, i only really want the Necron half, and  i don't really have any interest in the Imperium half of the collection, which i think by souping the list, has made it less desirable (at least in my experience in trying to find someone to split the collection with locally...)

i guess my point is check the image for what the subscription gives you. it can be excellent - but it might not be.

9 hours ago, mikewicked said:

find someone to split the collection with locally...

I should try and track down someone here to do that with - except a part of me would prefer not to because it takes the money away from my flgs

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear, I left it to chance to see if my country town newsagents would get issue 2 and they did, so I subscribed 😛 *Mostly* in the hope that the local club/community I'm trying to organise takes off then I'll have some cheap minis to share/let people assemble and paint.

It's interesting/funny the first issue had no mention at all about clipping or cutting the sprues from what I recall. Trying to cage it in as kid-friendly don't-sue-us framing as possible?

20220719_162126.jpg

Edited by Plasman
  • Like 2