September Hobby Comp!

Krefey

The children of Kerensky will always have my heart, and I have always been a Jade Falcon fan. 

So I'm painting a Falcon Guard Timberwolf (known as a MadCat to the IS barbarians since their computers couldn't decide if it was a Marauder or a Catapult) , as a talon in gamma galaxy they used 'appropriate camo' with Jade trim so the enemy would still know who they faced. 

Camo. On a 15 meter tall battlemech.

On the bright side, it's rare I get to use some olive drab when painting Sci fi. Will hopefully finish it off next week. 

IMG_20200913_135424_1.jpg

• Like 4

Added "browning/rust effect" after allowing the black wash to dry out overnight. Combination of raw sienna and burnt umber for this phase. Thin washes of both (I'm using Mont Marte signature acrylics - no proper modelling paints). Then alternate with either colour to cover gaps, MG handles, interiors (raw sienna mainly - toss up between that or steel grey). Really after that trodden, used look on the interiors so it is absolutely filthy inside with that wintry wet freezing conditions. Added in titanium white and lamp black for uniforms - started dark grey/almost black, then lighten by adding more white and avoiding the dark areas. Finally for the faces/skin tones I added brilliant red; combined that with the raw sienna and titanium white to get the fleshtone I was after. Sometimes I might use more red to get the blushed look: depends on the initial basecoat applied. In this case, the original basecoat was a dull light brown so a brighter red tone would even things out. Acrylics dry dark (depending on the surface used) hence I chose the brighter red in the models skin tone. Nothing wrong in exaggerating your colours, especially with non-modelling acrylics. All hand brushed except for this primer undercoat which is just White Knight flat matt white paint from Bunnings.

Chose to start with the tracks first because it seemed the most difficult to get "right". Then moved on to the models within, finalised the interior colour scheme (raw sienna) and then started washing in black and now brown on the exterior paying close attention to the joints and where the troopies would debus over the side. With wash it's your usual mix of paint and water to that diluted stage where the effect I was after was ponding as where it settles will dry therefore. If I overdo it or paint is still overpowering the wash, I rub the area affected with my finger over it or use a tissue. Let it dry thoroughly before starting next layer. It's not finished yet but it's getting there. Just have to figure a way to do the balkenkruz and perhaps a shield for the front. Saw a nice reference photo. Just have to chase up its identity.

215-1 troop carrier 2.jpg

251-2 Mortar carrier.jpg

251-7 Engineering carrier.jpg

251-9 Stummel.jpg

251-10 3.7 PAK 3.jpg

Edited by b20f08
Expansion and editing
  • Like 1

Finished the Hanomags for now. Added front wheel assembly tonight. Muted the initial two washes worse effects with dabs of titanium white. Keeping the top and bottom halves unglued so I can add troopies for future gameplay (Rapid Fire 2 or whatever is the current version). Foregoing the balkenkruz (using original reference photo as my excuse) but may still add the divisional shield on the front. Going with vehicles trimmed down for war so no jerry cans, helmets, extraneous kit on the side. Now I am going to try to work on a display board to showcase these vehicles. Cheers.

251 troop carrier - Copy.jpg

Engineering - Copy.jpg

Flammer - Copy.jpg

Mortar carrier - Copy.jpg

PAK 37 veh 2 - Copy.jpg

PAK veh 1 - Copy.jpg

Stummel - Copy.jpg

• Like 2

Started work on the display boards for the Hanomags. Should be interesting to see what I come up with for the fake snow. Don't worry; I've already acquired what I am going to use. But fake snow is available through ebay for reasonably cheap price. Link.

Using bitz - old mdf base boards and styrofoam off cuts.

Start of Hanomag display for paint challenge.jpg

2 hours ago, BIG said:

So, I know its late notice, but do you think I could still sign up for this challenge?  It may be the motivation I require to get a brush back in hand......

It's never too late to paint.

I can almost 100% guarantee I won't complete my September project because i'm painting other stuff anyway...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BIG said:

So, I know its late notice, but do you think I could still sign up for this challenge?  It may be the motivation I require to get a brush back in hand......

For sure!  Start anytime 🙂  It will change over at the end of the month after voting to a different theme.

Here is my submission for the September Painting Comp. 

spacer.png

My real goal is to achieve clean up, sub-assembly, undercoat and at least base coat by the end of the month.

It's a Spartan that I am doing for the Deathguard army I am doing for my mate.  Its the second last model (the other is Mortarion that is 1/3 complete).

Its a prick of a model with all manner of joint line issues, bent parts and miss fitting components, just like every review that I have read about this kit.  But since its for the Deathguard I plan to use some converting to add some "rotten" elements to hide the worst of the sins of the model.

Edited by BIG
Added image
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BIG said:

That is some impressive results.  Really like the bases for the fleet.  How many models have you completed here?

I think I counted about 95ish including the unfinished ones not in these photos. The "unfinished" ones are painted at least. I'll paint the rest of the bits when i get the 3D printed parts.

19 hours ago, Krefey said:

I think I counted about 95ish including the unfinished ones not in these photos. The "unfinished" ones are painted at least. I'll paint the rest of the bits when i get the 3D printed parts.

I thought you were joking when you said you would be painting an entire fleet this month. Incredibly well done, they look fantastic.

6 hours ago, korocite said:

I thought you were joking when you said you would be painting an entire fleet this month. Incredibly well done, they look fantastic.

Thanks 🙂  Helps that I've taken 4 weeks off of work as I really needed a break.

The first batch of resin parts I designed has been dropped off and they fit 🙂No description available.

Need to wait for the rest and then paint those then glue them on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Krefey said:

[photo of a hand]

Krefey is a fraud!

He's not a real hobbiest!  The evidence is above this!

There's no-where near enough scars and scrapes on his fingers from hobby knife accidents.

😝

Edited by Kn'Thrak
  • Haha 1