Brainstorming solution to get my Creality CR10 S4 working again.

Deb

I have had a number of problems that I have fixed each at cost in spae parts.  A burnt out power wire to the heating bed (resoldered it with new wire), a broken Y axis rubber belt (replaced), a damaged Y axis step motor (replaced), and then a continually clogging feeder system for the PLA which had me replace the 0.2mm head twice, replace the teflon feeder tube (replacement kit) and I also got a new roller (attaches to top of feeder step motor - it seems the PLA I got was poor quality and might have had impurities in it).  After all this, I dropped the damn 3D printer just a foot onto the ground from a low stool after repairing the heating bed problem, and now the goto home function is stuffed up.  It sits about 1cm to 1.5 cm above the heating bed and will not lower unless I lower it manually.  When it prints (attempts to), it goes to the home corner then raises the print head again.

Previous recommendations were that it was a loose sensor, the main chip/board inside the control box was knocked loose, the sensor on the Z axis was broken.  I checked all of these out, and the could not solve the problem.  I thought it might have been a software issue, that just needed a new download, or a reboot of some sort.  I was told on the Creality forums "not that, and you can not get software upgrades".  I was even told to 3-D print a piece to raise the sensor, but I thought that was silly, as when I checked the bed level and the point where the sensor gets depressed, it sits true, with the print head about .5mm off the heating bed, and how can I print a piece to raise the sensor if I can not print anything.  I also checked to see if I had room to play up and down with the height of the heating bed if needed and I do.  I heard there was a way in the setup menu to reset the sensor settings +/- so you can electronically adjust the height.  I am not sure how that can be done.

I have not printed anything in 8 months now, as I do not have the time to muck about with the damn thing.  I can not afford to waste any more money, and I am still paying off my credit card after I had to go to QLD in an emergency to see dad before he died of Renal failure when his body rejected the Dialysis treatment he had been getting for Diabetes.  Between the Quarantine hotel fees (that still have $800.00 to pay off, the $600.00 in taxi fare to see dad as they would not let m stay at home (even though I had passed 2x Covid tests with fying colours), and airline flights one of which I canclled when GotoGate completely stuffed up and changed the flight I had booked, removed the extra bag, changed the departure time - with a 13.5 hour stay over in Brisbane before going to Mackay, and now 2 and a half onths late they are sending me emails saying covid is delaying the time it will take to process my refund.  That is BS as it only takes a few minutes to transfer the money.

Any assistance or advice on how to fix this damn 3d-Printer (PLA), would be appreciated.

Edited by Deb

Hmm.  If the issue started after you dropped it, I'd definitely think it was more mechanical.  If you have a Rasberyy Pi or something, you could try installing Octoprint on it and running the device with that.

If you try raising the Z axis sensor manually when starting it up, does the behaviour change?