The OzTG Project 2021 hobby comp

Krefey

Hi all.

Korocite and myself both had the idea of doing a long term project for 2021.  The idea is to promote the hobby in general and aim to get people to work on a single project over a year.  Naturally participation is completely up to you.

You may join the comp until the end June.  After June, you're welcome to do your own thing, but you will not be eligible for the end of year prize(s).

In order to participate the following rules need to be followed:

- You must declare a single large ongoing project, be it an army (for any system), terrain project, diorama etc.  (i.e. something that is going to take a a while to complete).  You should state your goal as a minimum requirement to accomplish completion.  You can then do anything on top of that as a bonus.  For example, I intend to create a diorama based on the 9th ed 40k introduction trailer.

- Declare your project goal in response to this post.  You should then create your own thread to keep track of your progress, prefix the title with [Project 2021].

- Participants need to provide monthly updates, either in your own thread or a joint thread on these forums.  Even if the update is that you did nothing that month (we all know that life gets in the way sometimes).

- Participants may voluntarily donate towards the prize pool. The prize pool will be open to all participants the enter before July 1st 2021 and there is no reserved pool for anyone who donates vs anyone who doesn't.  So if you are donating, you are doing so for the benefit of the community.  Please PM me for PayPal details if you wish to donate cash.  If you wish to sponsor the comp as a corporate entity, please let me know via PM as well.

- Photos of what you're working on need to be uploaded showing an uncompleted state (primed and assembled is fine) and a finished state.  You do NOT need to upload photos of everything you're going to work on at once.  You can do so as you acquire new elements of the project.  This means you cannot use models that are already painted as part of this competition.  It must all be new work.  However, if you've already assembled some models, but not painted them yet, that's fair game.

- entry is open to Australian and New Zealand residents only.

- all work must be completed by the participant only.  No farming work off to minions or commission painters.

- The prize(s) will be determined by what the prize pool looks like at the end of the year.  A new thread will be created, with voting open to any member of the forum.  Each project will be represented in a poll.  You are not allowed to vote for your own project and in the event of a tie, users who donated to the prize pool and sponsors will get to cast a deciding vote as long as they are not in the running for a prize (so as to help remove any potential bias).

- If you have any questions, please ask in this thread.

I will be participating as well, however if I win, I will be donating all monetary proceeds to Beyond Blue.

Current sponsors:

Laser Shark Designs (my own business) - $100 cash

Flying Goat Creations - $100 worth of commissioned 3D printed items or products

Above Desk Hobbies & Games - (based in Brisbane) $150 voucher

The Orange Juicer podcast - set of Artis Opus brushes

Toy Soldier Imports - $200 store credit

User Donations - current total is $100

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Gerrit said:

Sounds Cool, I dont really dig the forum thing, but hey maybe you have just sucked me in.

I appreciate that forums can be a bit outdated.  And from a business point of view they are definitely an obsolete platform in the vast majority of applications.

That being said, I do enjoy seeing the different kinds of games / hobby happening in one place.  And being able to find things a lot easier than on platforms like Facebook.  It has its benefits and drawbacks and it is old.  But this forum software has a lot of features that social media platforms offer too (like image embedding etc without having to host the images on a remote site like photobucket), so it's trying to keep up with the times 😉

Krefey's project pledge.

My project is going to be to try roughly replicating the 40k 9th edition trailer as a diorama.  I've been planning it out already, but am yet to commence work on it.

Current plan is to make a 2 x 3 foot diorama board.  Replicating elements of various scenes in the trailer with the massive brawl at the end being the main focus. I anticipate needing the following:

~ 20 sisters of battle

~ 20 intercessors (rifle and ccw versions)

1 primaris captain

1 skorpekh lord

~40 Necron warriors

~ a bunch of scarab swarms

~ a couple of gaurdsmen corpses

Terrain.  Likely to be a mix of GW terrain, laser cut terrain and foam components.

I haven't decided if I'm going to make it a full on diorama, with models pinned directly in place or if I'll be doing it so I can use the miniatures for games too. If the latter, I'll be painting the models up in my own schemes rather than the ones from the video.

• Like 3

• Krefey changed the title to The OzTG Project 2021 hobby comp

I'm in, I'll update this post when I've decided what to work on - choices are 15mm Great War French, or WarGods, or something else...

Update:

I'll be working on a 15mm French army for Great War. I have to confirm exactly what I'll have in the army, but it should be about 1500-2000 points worth - infantry, tanks and artillery - lots of infantry, 7 tanks and 4 artillery pieces IIRC

If my some magic I manage to get all of that done I'll expand into a World War II French army - which is mostly Tanks. I'll be painting the infantry for this army at the same time as the Great War army anyway as I'm planning on doing them the same colours (hell, the artillery and some of the tanks can be used in both armies!)

Overall I'm going to use this project as an attempt to get through at least some of my 15mm WW1 & WW2 backlog (so I have heaps to extend to if I get both this lot finished)

Edited by Oceanborn

Right.

I will be in for a terrain project, because I pretty much have none.

A full set of terrain/tables for all my gaming systems, and I need to build it all so I can store it out of the way and still use the garage to park cars in.  This is something I meant to do after we built the new house a couple of years back, and haven't done so yet.  

So we'll have 3 systems all that need terrain:

A table for 6-15mm SciFi (BattleTech, Epic40k, DropZone - i'm thinking something made of pieces a la the old realm of battle, as the required play area can be quite small, but up to 6*4 for Epic).

A full table for 40k.  Again, this will need to break into pieces and hang on the wall or something, somehow.

Scatter terrain for KoW.  I already own a deep cuts mat.  This is just to have some nice scatter terrain, and to act as a practice run for the rest of the stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, musterkrux said:

I'll put myself down for the Infinity Defiance boardgame.

Just got it delivered, have assembled a few models but nothing is painted yet.

Ambition is to have every element from both Wave 1 and 2 assembled and painted to a decent standard by the end of 2021. I'll start a thread at some point.

Keen to see the Defiance minis painted.  Especially that big alien dude

I am looking at going to paint and Hopefully finish collecting my Red Corsairs army which I have calculated to about 8000 points.

I have collected 4 Brass Scorpions, 5 Blood Slaughterers, 6 Blight Drones, 12 Defilers, 3 Dreadnoughts, 3 warbands on foot, 1 terminator retinue, 1 hounds squadron, some Noise marine stands.

I plan on getting a heap of Rhinos, some Predators, Hunters, some proxies for Obliterators, Berserkers, Plaguemarines, Havocs, 2 thunderhawk gunships, a Chaos Cruiser, another warband, more noise marines, 2 chosen formations, 4 more Hell Talons, 6 more Hellblades, a heap of Drop pods.

The colour scheme will be the BOLD red and Black and Steel , with each Warband using a different shoulder guard trim and Helmet Plume.

Edited by Deb
  • Like 1

I'm having difficulty selecting one of many projects that are currently of interest. A new army is always fun and I have several currently resplendent in grey that could do with attention. I  was never happy with the end result of my plague marine army and am contemplating stripping them all back and starting again. The third option is to create the terrain that Big and I will need for our ongoing Inquisitor Tasetus vs Inquisitor Dile campaign. Thus far both Inquisitors have made planetfall and met some local critters (orks, tyranids and the occasional Iron Warrior). They will eventually meet up with each other, probably at a vital bridge which represents the only place they will be able to move heavy vehicles across the river. I have a suspicion that they will not get along. For all this to happen I need a river section (with bridge), a communications bunker, several defence turrets, some more large jungle terrain pieces, and a swamp. Big had the idea of delving into the depths of some of the ruins. He has made a network of pipes and industrial terrain (see here 

This idea has grabbed me - it will be a good change form all that jungle vegetation. I think I could add a few more pieces in a similar theme. Who know what the Inquisitors could find in the depths of the ruins.        

A question about this - right now I have a massive DG army commission I'm slowly working on between other commissions, would I be able to include it in this or nah cos it's a commission and not my own project? I'm assuming nah but I figured I'd check anyway, since I'm not gonna have time to work on a big project of my own because of it.

2 hours ago, Skits said:

A question about this - right now I have a massive DG army commission I'm slowly working on between other commissions, would I be able to include it in this or nah cos it's a commission and not my own project? I'm assuming nah but I figured I'd check anyway, since I'm not gonna have time to work on a big project of my own because of it.

That is a curly one. Technically, it is not against the rules as it is all your own work and it would be good to have you involved. The fact that you are getting paid for it by a third party feels a bit off though and probably not in the spirit of the competition.  I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Skits said:

11 minutes ago, korocite said:

That is a curly one. Technically, it is not against the rules as it is all your own work and it would be good to have you involved. The fact that you are getting paid for it by a third party feels a bit off though and probably not in the spirit of the competition.  I'm interested to hear what everyone else thinks.

I'm in two minds about it as well - if I was running the competition I would probably allow you to take part with the caveat that any prize you may receive is to be donated, but I can appreciate @korocite's perspective as well in that it feels like it isn't in the spirit of the competition

• Like 3

Lol. Skits, you sort of answered your own question with your query when first reading it. But as korocite and Oceanborn have subsequently discussed albeit briefly in mentioning the salient points, they've also touched upon that most intangible yet most relevant of aspects - the spirit of any undertaking, be it this project or any other venture.

I'll abide by whatever the project decides although it doesn't affect me as such.

But my two bit opinion on your query: from self-promoting your commissioned work, no. But from watching someone talented share and impart their skill and knowledge for our viewing pleasure and education, yes, I most definitely welcome it. 

• Like 3

Yeah, while I'd love to see the project unfold, I feel it would not be in the spirit of the comp.  If you wanted to include it but not be in the running for the prize pool, I think that would be the only real option.  But I'll chat with Korocite and see what we come up with.

• Like 3

I suppose that I can use this as motivation to paint the extensive Chaos (Black Legion / Stigmatus Cult) Epic army that I've managed to gather... there are a few bits that need stripping, and quite a few that need assembly (especially the 3D printed Defilers...) but I reckon I can get started soon (on cleaning up the workshop so that I can sort out the bits and start working out a plan of attack...).

Once everything is all together, in one space, I'll take a happy snap for you... then I can start thinking about paint...

• Like 1

It's good to see I wasn't the only one in two minds about this, at least! XD But yeah, I definitely agree that it isn't really in the spirit of the comp, and I was also thinking that not being in the running for the prize pool would be the only real way to do it. All good! I'll still be posting progress in my own WiP thread anyway (when I remember!), so nobody will be missing out there. :D Cheers! 

• Like 2

I've decided to run with a combined terrain + new army. The terrain will consist of a river section with removable bridge.  The plan is to include a communications bunker, some heavy bolter turrets, more jungle features and possibly some Tau specific pieces depending on what I can find. The Tau army will be on jungle bases to match the new terrain. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, korocite said:

I've decided to run with a combined terrain + new army. The terrain will consist of a river section with removable bridge.  The plan is to include a communications bunker, some heavy bolter turrets, more jungle features and possibly some Tau specific pieces depending on what I can find. The Tau army will be on jungle bases to match the new terrain. 

Nice.

Lots of cool sounding projects so far.  Would love to get more overall community involvement, so feel free to share the details on social media etc 🙂