[Project 2021] WHFB 6E Dark Elves

Magos Kasen

Well, finally picked a project (out of many) to commit to for this year. I've been meaning to start this army for a while, and have accumulated a few loose ends along the way. 

I have very fond memories of 6th edition, and am slowly working on building armies for it. With a few concessions to modern game conventions. I'm a round base convert these days. 

The plan will be to paint 2000pts of Druchii, but I might start by making a 1000pt list and getting what I need for that. 

20210109_210232.jpg

• Like 7

Ok, some average photos of a test mini. Not completely sold on the colours, feel free to suggest changes. I'm trying to strike a balance between nice painting and something I can repeat across whole units. 

Purple is just classic Druchii. Decided again anything too radical otherwise. Thoughts on the gold edged black armour?

Resized_20210113_231855.jpeg

Resized_20210113_231807.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks good!

maybe doing the underskirt in purple as well, and using a slightly different colour on the belt tails to provide a little bit more contrast between them and the skirt(are they they same colour?), but they're just personal preferences so feel free to ignore them 😉

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Magos Kasen said:

Ok, some average photos of a test mini. Not completely sold on the colours, feel free to suggest changes. I'm trying to strike a balance between nice painting and something I can repeat across whole units. 

Purple is just classic Druchii. Decided again anything too radical otherwise. Thoughts on the gold edged black armour?

Resized_20210113_231855.jpeg

Resized_20210113_231807.jpeg

I really like it! Its very classic early 00's Dark Elves to me and I like how you've done the armour.

I think Marius is on the money re: what you do with the shield. I think that's a good opportunity to work more purple into the scheme and have a splash of colour so it isn't too dark.

Though if it'san exhausting scheme to work on, I'd advocate literally anything more enjoyable for your sake.

Looks good. The shield definitely helps with the overall darkness from the front of the model.

edit: looking at this on a different monitor there is a lot more contrast in the model than I originally thought.

Edited by Oceanborn
Looked at it on a better monitor

Thanks guys! Keeping me motivated haha. Marius, I used contrast paints to shade the metallics and flesh. I'm mostly sticking with old fashioned layering for these, but I'm a fan of contrast paints for a lot of jobs. 

Enjoy a potato camera work bench shot of tonight's progress. Couldn't quite get all four finished in one sitting. 

20210115_232853.jpg

• Like 2

Gotta love a purple and teal scheme, they look great! I'm sure the shields will add to the awesomeness as well once they go on.  

Also keen to hear what you used for the basing, I have 2000 points of Ogors on square bases that need to go on rounds at some point and have been testing some different snow options but not completely happy with any of them. 

• Like 1