[Terrain] Hobby "goop" product question

Hi all,

I need some sort of hobby goop which sets and cures hard, which can be used for terrain sculpting, and can be painted over.
I have some pink foam rock faces, which I have carved and crushed to make them look alright, but there are seams between the foam pieces which need to be filled.
What I'd like is some sort of textured cement/putty/plaster which can be diluted with water so I can get it thick and sculpt-able, or thin to just roughly smash on a surface with an old brush.

Is the best option just some sellys spak-filler white putty, or do you have a nice recipe for something better?

I guess I'm after something between textured paint and spak filler: ie "hobby goop".

Thanks muchly.

I reckon Selleys outdoor filler might do the job. It's textured, you can brush it on (sort of) then  move it around with a brush so no hard edges. You can thin it if you want. I've done lots of projects with it.

• Like 1

Thanks mate, I'll give it a go mixed with water.
I once tried to mix pva with spakfilla (I think that was the product) and ended up with something between blutack and plasticine. Weird chemistry.

15 minutes ago, Hermit said:

I've just pulled out an old terrain project, so I can take my time experimenting.
Do you have a hobby goop recipe Krefey?

Not off the top of my head.  I can check some reference material I have to see if it has any suggestions.

I think I have some DAS modelling clay somewhere which might still be good. (really resists being diluted - takes ages to make a slurry in a cup. Not fun.)
...and I've tried pva and sand - it looks like sand stuck on and doesn't fill gaps.
...spack filla straight, can work, just takes time with a spatula but always needs re-finishing anyway.

Don't have any plaster.

There must be a solution. There must be a mix which is a rock-face helper. I'm just coming up blank.

6 hours ago, Krefey said:

spack filla?  Although not sure it can be thinned with water.

Yes and Yes!

add a little water to give it a more malleable consistency and spread away.  I use it for all my terrain and bases.  If you want it textured, add some sand and a bit more water.

• Like 2

Spak filla is the thing. Thanks heaps.

A couple spoons in a jar, and a little water (less than I thought), and I can get runny paint which fills small gaps, or, a whipped cream sort of consistency which can be stippled. It holds peaks for texture really well. This is great. Fast, easy, cheap, and good.

I'll share a pic when I can. Very pleased.
Cheers.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...