Been a fan of this game for a number of years. Started out with minis but now have migrated no-figures play. Suits me as a lifelong solo gamer. And it allows me to explore aspects of gameplay that might annoy the hell out of other players who simply want their fun sorted out in an easy hour or two.  Anyway, I have chosen to turn this entire season into a no-figure experience. How? I use graphic symbols instead. Played my first game over the weekend and enjoyed an unexpected result. Will post the full batrep shortly (still some revision required). Here are a couple of images though. Cheers.

33432083_Turn12scene.png.5950a65885aae65d34f6b40c4d66efae.png

Turn 12 scene has the French mounted knights (left) confronted by the German knights (bottom right) and German mounted with crossbows (top right). The situation looks tense as the French are isolated, unsupported and outnumbered. Each emblem represents one actual tabletop figure. Each hex represents one tabletop inch. 

664804322_Turn14scene.png.e60d6770518b9a27f31c4926d7dbb5b9.png

Turn 14. The French charged and defeated the German mounted with crossbows pushing them back. But the German knights (both leaders are represented by unique shield emblems) prove a much hardier issue. And this shows the moment the Germans charge the French who are caught unawares and are about to get spanked. 

I have also included the scenario brief for this game. Cheers.

Scenario 1 210131.pdf

EDIT: 3 FEB

Finished the report a few hours ago. Lengthy cos it includes pictures (lol) from each turn. Hope this works though. Cheers.

SC1 Batrep 210202.pdf

EDIT: 13 FEB

About to kickoff with Scenario 7 tonight. Having fun so far. Getting loads of ideas to try out. I wonder, though, who else plays Lion Rampant locally?

Edited by b20f08
  • Like 1
  • b20f08 changed the title to Lion Rampant - Season 6: Autumn's Gift

Changed the title of this post to bring all this under one umbrella.

Hi again.

Every year I play a solo campaign season using the Lion Rampant rules by Daniel Mersey (Osprey Publishing). Today I finished my sixth season.

I run factions – five at the moment – who contest in an alternate medieval Languedoc (south western France). I am quite generous in my timeline but generally this era sit centrally within the twelfth/thirteenth centuries. Apologies to those medieval purists out there.

Originally I started with three factions centred on three local families in the southwest corner of the region – de Baxal (Occitan), Saxanisson (French) and de Tourmonne (Savoyard). These three families gave rise to their faction names, or affiliation, as the Bassilian, the Saxanisson, and the Gelfs. Over the years I have since added three other factions – the Livonians (Livonian Sword Brothers), the brigands (a loose confederation comprising mainly outlaws, mercenaries, sea raiders, and independent non-affiliated states and realms within the region), and the Otani (French under the de Beuthmont banner who originally began as allies of the Gelfs but who have since expanded and branched out on their own).

Each faction has its leader, usually head of a family or association (as with the Livonians) and subordinate members who each lead a retinue. There is no restriction on the number of members but I keep it small, usually around four or five retinues each. I also have a high turnover in retinues because leaders seem to have this obsession with dying when least warranted. But that how it goes so you roll with it. Only three of the original retinues now remain after six seasons of constant campaigning.

This season is the second season where I’ve used graphical representation rather than minis to play my games. Think hexed boards with symbols representing minis. Each hex represents 1 inch. Running twelve game seasons compressed as I do can become tiresome physically prepping for each game – setting up, playing, then packing up. This graphical approach was a simple solution to this dealing with physical exertion.

Lion Rampant is a simple game that offers me opportunities to implement house rule variants to suit desired complexities as well as flexibility to explore ideas through playtesting. Not everything dreamed up works out. But a few stick such as the terrain placement concept which is borrowed from another gaming system but which has been adapted to suit Lion Rampant and which is now standard for all my solo Lion Rampant games. It works really well when you’re stumped for a layout.

That’s the background out of the way.

This season I ran twelve scenarios in the continuing narrative of the power struggles and local differences. Usually I allocate one whole month to each solo campaign season. Here are a trio of screen shots sampled from the campaign season just played.

1162953431_Scenesfromcampaignseason1.jpg.89db99a29bbc54351f06f3b76dab23a6.jpg

1133040453_Scenesfromcampaignseason2.jpg.2cbdde23e186c4ad11d6833b752a5c4d.jpg

190475707_Scenesfromcampaignseason3.jpg.2b5eed1308fa884b33859d32e8232229.jpg

By the way, the Bassilians (red faction and sentimental favourite as they're the first retinue to inspire this entire setup) won the season with a big margin in victory points.

Thanks for viewing this.  

Edited by b20f08
1 hour ago, moody said:

Do you ignore the 3" between units rule?  It makes a big difference to tactics in the game.

Not ignore. Just shorten it to 1" movements which comes into play especially with deployments and getting to grips with the opponent. Tactics is affected, yes, but not in the usual manner as I've found that it's boasts which determines game tactics in my campaign games. I run a randomised boast system based on the leader's skill: the lower the skill, the maximum boasts made (3 per character); the higher the skill, the less boasts made. This ultimately determines how the characters are going to game. And as you probably know, a negative boast score does wonders for your final victory score, especially when failing to achieve set objectives. 🙂

1 hour ago, musterkrux said:

Interesting concept.

What platform are you using to run the games?

No platform as such. Just MS Paint and a lot of patience. I use a hexed map template that I modify for each scenario and run it from there. All the prelims take time to set up - shield emblem designs, scenario map design (I use a four grid square system to represent the 4' x 4' normal table), and actual terrain placements. But once sorted, game begins and runs smoothly and as long as you want it to. Can save at any point and return to it later. I also use the PNG extension as the JPG is no good for zoom and so on. 

2 minutes ago, b20f08 said:

Not ignore. Just shorten it to 1" movements which comes into play especially with deployments and getting to grips with the opponent. Tactics is affected, yes, but not in the usual manner as I've found that it's boasts which determines game tactics in my campaign games. I run a randomised boast system based on the leader's skill: the lower the skill, the maximum boasts made (3 per character); the higher the skill, the less boasts made. This ultimately determines how the characters are going to game. And as you probably know, a negative boast score does wonders for your final victory score, especially when failing to achieve set objectives. 

I actually don't know well.  While I own the rules I've only actually played the very similar but not identical Dragon Rampant which does not include boasts.   In that system, the three inch rule - while limiting deployment significantly - allows for good control of the battlefield and your own line.  It tends to not let you do things that would not happen in real life.  It may be more different than I had thought in Lion Rampant.

33 minutes ago, musterkrux said:

Oh cool. 

If you're using MSPaint, maybe look at Inkscape or any other free vector-art program. It'd be much easier to create tables and game pieces, as well as move them around and whatnot. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Will check it out. Comfortable with MS Paint except for layering so if Inkscape covers it, I'll be interested. 

53 minutes ago, moody said:

I actually don't know well.  While I own the rules I've only actually played the very similar but not identical Dragon Rampant which does not include boasts.   In that system, the three inch rule - while limiting deployment significantly - allows for good control of the battlefield and your own line.  It tends to not let you do things that would not happen in real life.  It may be more different than I had thought in Lion Rampant.

Yep, played Dragon Rampant with a live opponent fairly regularly for the past two years. Quest is virtually Boast dressed up but more flashy, like some city cousin visiting the boonies.

As you say, control is always going to be an issue with unruly beasts and errant soldiers, especially impetuous knights who have the Wild Charge rule against anything within 10". But I must admit I like throwing my characters at one another and seeing what turns up so the 3" rule isn't too much of an issue. 

Edited by b20f08