[Project 2021] 1000pts Aeldari

I will update the title once I work out whether this will be Harlequins or Altansar craftworld.

I have been out of the hobby for quite a long time. I'll admit I have painted the odd mini here and there over the last 7/8 years but I could count the total on two hands. 

This project is two fold. 

1) build a small force I can begin playing 40k with at my local gaming store and get to know people there (Irresistible force Qld) learn 40k again as I have not played since third edition I'd say.  

2) paint..  this was always my favorite side of the hobby. I found it relaxing.  I have added in the last two years a set of twins and a singleton to my family so I need something I can do at home and relax with again...   I also want to try these new techniques that have popped up and become more mainstream over last few years such as using inks with zenithal highlighting.   I have airbrushed before but mostly under/basecoating so pushing new skills is a must.

• Like 3

Ok so pivoting the army a bit.  I think I will be heading more for the Ynnari side of things.  Fluff wise the Altansar were apparently one of if not the first craftworld to begin to support Yvraine and the formation of the Ynnari.  

So I can still build the bulk of the force around this craftworld with additional DE/harls in roles I feel Altansar would be lacking in. 

I have read something about using multiple detachments when doing this to maximise faction bonuses? Anybody got a quick explainer on that?

Creating the Altansar I was going to run the guardian to hit rerolls on 1+ like Ulthwe and the Bonus wounding rolls against chaos. I figured after so long in the warp their population will be battle hardened similar to ulthwes standing guardian force. The bonus against chaos seemed a no brainer. 

So to begin I purchased a guardian box and a wraithguard box to start.  In hindsight i should have gotten storm guardians as Altansar don't remove their helmets and I didn't realise I wouldn't have a full helmeted option in the box so will have to source 2 heads with helmets. 

Wraithguard I will build magnetised hopefully so I can switch around the options. 

IMG20210227151816.jpg

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Test guardian.

Not happy with how it turned out.

I do like the colours but I don't think it's right for this particular craftworld.  Armour needs a more reddish purple tone.

So to that end I'll do another with warlock purple as the base. I think I might use some drakkenoth nightshade (think that's the one) for the shadows and then edge highlight/blend to a brighter red.  

Blending is pretty new to me, used to simply paint with the normal gw style of base, wash, highlights so even tho this is the first time really painting in a long time I want to attempt to learn new skills as well.

For a first model in years whilst tanked i wasn't unhappy with how the paint job turned out just not the tone. 

Edit; I also picked up a start collecting craftworld box and 2x boxes of dire avengers to add.

So loads to paint when I lock down the colour scheme.   Dire avengers will NOT be the traditional blue either.   Thinking of a very dark and bone tone for them. 

IMG20210318182916.jpg

Edited by Sagan
18 hours ago, Sagan said:

Test guardian.

Not happy with how it turned out.

I do like the colours but I don't think it's right for this particular craftworld.  Armour needs a more reddish purple tone.

So to that end I'll do another with warlock purple as the base. I think I might use some drakkenoth nightshade (think that's the one) for the shadows and then edge highlight/blend to a brighter red.  

Blending is pretty new to me, used to simply paint with the normal gw style of base, wash, highlights so even tho this is the first time really painting in a long time I want to attempt to learn new skills as well.

For a first model in years whilst tanked i wasn't unhappy with how the paint job turned out just not the tone. 

Edit; I also picked up a start collecting craftworld box and 2x boxes of dire avengers to add.

So loads to paint when I lock down the colour scheme.   Dire avengers will NOT be the traditional blue either.   Thinking of a very dark and bone tone for them. 

IMG20210318182916.jpg

I don't know if it is the paintjob or the lighting - but there isn't much visible here (aside from the very nice base).  Could you try another photo maybe in daylight?

19 hours ago, moody said:

I don't know if it is the paintjob or the lighting - but there isn't much visible here (aside from the very nice base).  Could you try another photo maybe in daylight?

Agreed, more light would be good to fully appreciate what you have done.

On 3/22/2021 at 7:33 PM, Magos Kasen said:

I don't mind the colour scheme. If you want a nice purple-red I highly recommend Barak Nar Burgundy by GW. Quickly become one of my go to paints for either dark red or deep purple. 

I don't know how I missed that colour... Its what I have been aiming for...    

Trip to hobby shop.. thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting ass into gear.  Assembly underway of magnetized wraithguard/blades. 

So the to do list sits at.

- Getting started aeldari box (wraithguard/blades, war walker, wraithlord, farseer)

- second squad wraithguard/blades

- 2x 5 man dire avenger squads (1 exarch)

1 X guardian squad

I probably won't be counting the guardians in the force as I was mostly using them as colour scheme tests.  But they are there if needed but I feel dire avengers are the better points buy..

Once these are completed I will look towards 2x wave serpents for the DA to race to objectives and fire and fade in and out of the serpent for the most part. 

then a farseer on bike and warlock on bike as command to replace the foot seer and I will start bringing dark reapers into the mix.

My DA will be a non traditional scheme.   I plan on armour that is almost black with a subtle hint of blue on the highlights.  Weapons will be painted as bone. 

IMG20210409192224.jpg

• Like 1