Continuing and inspired by October's paint challenge, I am setting down this new major project - unfinished buildings. And there are lots of these buildings that have been started and now exist at varying stages of completion.

All are scratchbuilt because it's just something I enjoy doing - taking an idea and making something from nothing with whatever is at hand. Along the way, I hope to improve my bare-basic skills, not to any great heights but just enough to enable me to get by and appreciate the skills of other more talented folk out there doing what I am about to attempt.

I have many several unfinished projects to fulfil. So I will be picking them up where I left off and continuing to the end. Tonight I am making a start by adding cornices to an apartment tenement I had built for 28mm wargaming. Had these cornices for ages but only now applied them. Lol.

1694851571_Tenementbuildingfivestoreys.jpg.679ceaaf2e0b2575e994b77b4f2e76d3.jpg

These are modular structures. In this five-storey example, each middle section is two floors deep. This allows me to vary the height. Use card covered with cork tiles that used be supplied at Bunnings because they were thick and solid. Stopped buying them from Bunnings because they changed to a much thinner more floppy tiles that seemed like their MDF - all glue and mush. Of course, the price rose with the change.

486286997_Tenementbuildingthreestoreys.jpg.105c890bd84acceceb23f854b502daad.jpg

The above shows it in its three storeys configuration. Side stonework (grey) is simply card cut to shape and style.

1007981283_Warehouse1.jpg.0b80944b19f3b7e76bd001b2c31722d6.jpg

A storage facility in three modules. Used five mm mesh wire to showcase the tiny windows of the era. The roof loft has room dividers both as strengthening and facilities placement of figures (gangsters for sure). The five mm gap determines your window sizes if you want a uniform window. I start at 10mm width and increase in size by 5mm increments. Simple.

Will periodically showcase further developments as they appear but the priority right now is to finish off the Borodino Project first. Once that's out of the way, will post more updates more frequently. Cheers.

Edited by b20f08
  • Like 2

Speaking of talented scratchbuilders does anyone recall blackadder and his titan projects? That guys is top of the tree in my eyes. Very precise and detailed, superbly and technically excellent. Definitely outside of my scorpe or range for sure.

8 hours ago, b20f08 said:

Speaking of talented scratchbuilders does anyone recall blackadder and his titan projects? That guys is top of the tree in my eyes. Very precise and detailed, superbly and technically excellent. Definitely outside of my scorpe or range for sure.

Yes. He seems to have stopped posting pretty much anything in the last six months or so. I worked with him on a titan commission job a few years back - he created he built the titan and I painted it. It was nice to be able to pick his brain on scratch building and co-ordinate the assembly and painting in a sensible way. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Forgot to add this adjunct to the storage depot, a warehouse. Gone for space as well as style is the theme for both - plenty of room to hide thugs and underlings. It was originally a separate building but since painted the same, now it's the warehouse part. Just need to add the front access. In two minds over adding another landing for access or whether the trucks and vans back straight to the warehouse. Cheers.

1728106314_Storagedepotandwarehouse.jpg.66c6f0613fd4f6ea77c9cdcb3c131749.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work mate. Good to see you making serious progress after a wee while on the shelf. You are not that far off finishing. I aspire to do scratch building but I think maybe for me, 3D printing may be the way to go (just got to get a 3d printer and curing station and some STL files ).  Happy hobbying.

Yep. 3D printing is the way to go. As long as it becomes accessible to general hobbying market. Sort of like watching people move to hand held transistors and walkmans to get their news and music fixes. 😉

• Haha 1

This desert outpost/fort (think Beau Geste) was started years ago. Started with gusto then but ran out of steam, as you do. And got sidetracked by something else, as you do.

Will tackle this when I have a spare moment between now and the refight but it will become priority thereafter. Dimensions is about two foot square as it was meant for 28mm Colonials. Never had one to go with my Airfix legionnaires and arabs in my youth. Better late than never as they say.

1280267503_Overview1.jpg.76b5b1d8905f922abc42e3516dca19f4.jpg

Interior contains, subject to amendments of course, OR barracks and mess, a cookhouse, officer's quarters and office, stables, arsenal, gaol, guardhouse, storage, ramparts. One way in and out. Still pieces to add though.

1974828100_InteriorfortNEcornercookhouse.jpg.eb8684a8dec03ff69af4c49473429774.jpg

View primarily of the cookhouse. Door looks tiny. To the right of the space (to be filled) is part of the storage and stables.

Edited by b20f08
  • Like 1