Has anyone given this a go? I'm liking the look of it along with the smaller than WFB games. I've also heard good things about the SAGA rules in general but as I'm not hugely interested in historicals I've never actually played myself.

I'm a big fan of it. 

I played a lot of SAGA historical, and got this as soon as it came out.

It's a pretty simple ruleset, but the SAGA abilities/boards make it a little more complex without needing to study much beforehand. The resources you have to pull off special moves are limited, and dwindle during the game. You can spend all your dice doing something big, but it usually means the rest of your army doesn't do much.

I like how they've made the rules for magic. It's handy to have, but not game breaking. Most are minor buffs or debuffs.

My favourite thing is how flexible the rules for models are. There are types of model (infantry, cavalry, various monster types), but so long as you stay within the unit count and base size you an use whatever models you like. There are 6 factions, and you can fit just about any fantasy archetype into one or two of them.

The book isn't cheap, so it'd be worth finding someone who can give you a demo.

I've almost picked up the book a couple of times. I think that major draw for me is to actually use some of the frankly obscene number of models I have kicking around.

Anyone in the Gosford area available for a demo some time? I'm happy to travel a fair bit too.

I love it, played the original a lot, and I reckon this is just that little bit better. Plus I rate a game that is designed to be played while drinking 😉

We've got a decent group playing at Newcastle Legions if you wanted to wander up for our monthly club meeting and check it out

SAGA rules are a blast - I've only played Viking-era rules, but the game is simply an absolute ton of fun. The whole battle board mechanic makes the game a bit fantasy-ish anyway, it's not exactly going for realism, so I imagine it translates to a fantasy setting very well. There were a few WHFB and LoTR home-brews using SAGA rules and battleboards kicking around even during SAGA 1st ed days. Seriously - if you have the chance to give it a spin you won't regret it, it's so rare for a game to actually be just plain good old fasioned *fun* these days.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...