Oz Tabletop Gaming

The Army Painter Warpaints - Opinions

So, I'm getting back into the hobby after a long break and, while I've not done a full audit, I suspect many of my paints will have gone to the Great Painting Station in the Sky and I reckon I'll be in the market for replacements.

Has anyone on the boards used The Army Painter Warpaints and, if so, what did you think of them? The Mega Paint Set looks like a good way to get new set but, while I'm not looking for top-grade paints, I don't want to fork out for over-priced poster-paints, either.

I use them and find them to be as good as the old GW stuff.  There are two reasons I use them - dropper bottles and my FLGS stocks them.  If my FLGS stocked Vallejo I would go with them.

• Like 1

i like the washes, but have found the paints themselves to be a bit hit and miss. Some colours are great, but other colours aren't as good. much like any other paint range. I can't remember which ones I wasn't happy with though...sorry.

• Like 1

As above - washes and sprays are excellent. Paints are good, but need more shaking than any other brand on the planet. As in, you need to shake them a lot. Shake them until you think you've shaken them more than is sane, then shake them some more. Then squeeze some out onto the pallet, realise that it's still watery, swear a few times and then shake them some more. I've put glass beads in the worst offenders, although they do sell packs of stainless steel balls as well.

Shaking aside, some colours are more translucent than I prefer, but that's more a painting style issue than a problem with the paint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, insaniak said:

As above - washes and sprays are excellent. Paints are good, but need more shaking than any other brand on the planet. As in, you need to shake them a lot. Shake them until you think you've shaken them more than is sane, then shake them some more. Then squeeze some out onto the pallet, realise that it's still watery, swear a few times and then shake them some more.

So, do they need much mixing? 😉

Only used their washes which I love. I’ve got a big mixed hoard of Vallejo, Minitaire and GW, but if I was starting from scratch the AP big set deals would certainly pique my interest and look like good value.