Borodino Project (Napoleonics 20mm)

b20f08

Howdy,

Just easing myself back into the project, painting-wise, after the lay-off turned into a vacation. To get me back into the swing, I'm currently doing a little side project, the War of 1812. Always been interesting in this war but never got round to getting involved. Wealth of information in books and online makes for easy painting. These are my Americans - members of Maryland's finest. Infantry and riflemen. No cavalry as they hardly played a fighting part in the battle. Missing unit flags (which I will knock out in time for the battle) and arty pieces (borrowing from French). I have foregone painting the white trowz simply because the focus will be on the uniforms and distinctive head coverings. Just need to add the Brits, and it's Bob's a builder. Scale for game is 1:60 so you can see the Americans are light as a fighting force. The Brits will be moderately larger in size fielding three small brigades. Hoping to run this refight over by end of next week. Game will be battalion-level, something I've not done since the last century. 😉 Take care. 

1937393915_Americanforcesreviewed.jpg.2fb317c2a3d9ec71560c5832d4574162.jpg

EDIT POST: 25 March

Hi again. Rather than disrupt the wonderful work being done by others with just an announcement, I figured to just add this here. So nothing has been done for March regarding the OZTGG Terrain build.

Making a slow start on my Nap figures though. At least, they've begun.

1030051707_ItalianRoyalGuard-GdConscripts.jpg.083aa1d9ed1f33c159293a06f8d8cd74.jpg

What is done (minus flocking and flags) and can be shown are the Italian Royal Guard of Lecchi's division - the Guard Conscripts (above) and the Royal Guards (below). Made the latter all grenadiers to stand out from their comrade. Missing are the Royal Velites which was done later but I haven't got round to taking a photo.

Italian Royal Guard - Gd Grenadiers.jpg

Started Eugene's IV Corps with the divisions of Delzon and Broussier. Infantry first. Lots of repainting involved. Hope to have something finished to show by end of week. Cheers.

PS: Already started on Junot's VIII Corps (Westphalians) and Grouchy's III Cavalry Reserve Corps which supported Eugene's corps. Already posted pictures of them.

Edited by b20f08

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Part Two of this project has begun for a few weeks now but is only now ramping up to the serious stage. Did a few calcs the other day and learned I am needing over one thousand more minis in total to complete the French/Allies component of this project. With that figure locked away somewhere in my numb skull, I also decided to cut out the required number of bases and then laid them out on the formal dining table (again, wife is very tolerant of use of the dining table and extremely supportive of my hobby overall). Also printed out flags for the French infantry because I like flags. Purists will disapprove but that's fine.

1518412616_Flagssamples.jpg.616e6f85da46aeeed72e8db3226d5d25.jpg

The flag samples. Foreground: Royal Italian Guards - grenadiers and conscripts. Velites, so I understand, did not carry eagles or standards at that time. Immediately behind the Italians are two French unit flags. They belong to the 2nd brigade of Delzons' 13th Division which is part of Eugene's IV Corps. So far, the test works from a visual standpoint.

664136517_Tablesetuptidyupview1CAPTIONED.jpg.7d81f47059d78f0495e3d708a8f7a608.jpg

Laid out the entire requirement for the French/Allies.

Junot's VIII Corps, as stated many times and showcased last year, is complete. So is Grouchy's III Reserve Cavalry Corps. In-between the two stand the I (Nansouty) and II (Montbrun) Reserve Cavalry Corps with many missing figures. Top right is the huge I Corps (Davoust) with its five-battalion regiments! Missing from this corps is Morand's I Division which I was working on late last night. Hoping to finish that off tonight when I wake up after sleeping off this lurgy.

1743369215_IIIandIVCorpsassemblyCAPTIONED.jpg.ce38551c617f96367996848b96d0a49b.jpg

Above shows part of the over four hundred infantry figures assembled so far and in varying stages of completion. Most now have their flags as I extended the flag samples to as many as I could before I got tired.

Note: I have not included the entire Imperial Guard or Poniatowski's V Corps (which I will be leaving for last). Hoping to complete this Part by end of this month. Cheers.

Edited by b20f08

I should iterate that thousand-plus figure bandied about applies only to the infantry required to complete the I, III and IV Corps.

As for the OZTGG project, nothing to report to date. Hoping to make a start on the Borodino church later on in the month but don't hold thine breath.

EDIT POST: 12 APRIL

Hi again. Too many life issues and other distractions at the moment but I did finally reach the flocking stage for one lot of Frenchies. Here is group shot of part of Delzons' 13th division of Eugene's IV Corps. Units are 92nd Line, 106 Line, and foot troops of the Royal Italian Guards - Grenadiers, Velites, and Conscripts. The rest of Delzons' division, part of Broussier's division and Morand's division of Davoust's I Corps are also at the flocking stage: I just haven't found the time to get them done, but hope to rectify that some time today (MOnday) so I can post more progress photos. Cheers.

1291700423_Whatsachievedthusfar.jpg.f969e088cffe9231d5e2130555603e18.jpg

EDIT POST: 13 APRIL 2021

Slow progress but steady. Remaining infantry formations of 4th Corps finished. Also including Morand's division from 1st Corps.

238635282_Flockedsofar.jpg.b185c77011030f7c8e566492563a3cdb.jpg

Group shot above shows progress regarding completing infantry so far. Ney's Corps next.

Edited by b20f08

• 3 weeks later...

Only a thousand frenchies - you'll chew that up in no time old bean!

Sorry been a while between comments but so wow for you. You are a machine sir (not a terminator , and your name ain't Arnie I hope?). So cool all this chatter about this div and that corps. So impressive - so Napoleonic. You really don't have that much left to do. btw my AB Prussian haven't gone anywhere just yet but I can say I painted two regiments (8 figs each ) of lifeguard Brit cav for waterloo. Blues regiment next for Somerset's brigade altho bit short on royal dragoons!

Take care and happy painting/modelling/gaming to you. Keep up the great work and thanks again for posting your progress. Its inspiring stuff for sure. I seem to have lost a fair bit of my modelling/painting mojo of late but am trying to return to full throttle.

Oh and again wow what a supportive missus you have (mine is the same and yes clearly thinks I am nuts painting "little men" but then again, I could be into motor sports or golf - as I point out often). Tell her she is not alone!

cheers

• Like 1

Missed your comments, old friend. Yeah, it's been a really tough grind of late. Lost our cat Tom the other week. Wife is straight out distraught; he was her shadow and kind of the cog that kept all the other creatures in line, even the dogs. Pippin, our Burmese, has been missing his mate so much it's heart-wrenching watching him mew out for his friend in that lost despairing cry that animals express at loss. He now sleeps with us which makes for a clustered bed with Sam, our pooch, is already there after we lost Grace, our Maltese cross last year due to operation complications.  We're all missing him even if he and I didn't see eye to eye on many things like who is the alpha male in this household. Lol. I now sleep during the day and stay up nights because as much as I love our animals, I prefer to sleep alone. Haha.

Anyway, gotten halfway through most of the infantry shown in the one of the above photos (showing empty stands and partially assembled). Only over four hundred yet to go but that's only what's on the table which is what I'm concentrating on so far.

Hey, every little painted figure is a triumph in itself. Keep plugging away, mate. Your comments help me continue in a way so appreciate the feedback. I really didn't think this project fully through but sometimes the eye has a greater appetite than the will to complete sometimes. Hence why we're all suffering from the many unfinished projects syndrome. It's peculiar to our hobby as a whole and defines us to any casual outside looking in. Lol. You aren't a hobbyist if you don't have some unfinished project buried or hidden or forgotten somewhere amongst your many little men.

We count ourselves very lucky when we have partners who abide our hobby. At least, we're not out there getting obnoxiously drunk (been there), fisting others when drunk (done that), or generally being a life arsehole (always) for squandering our time because we do NOT have an engaging interest like miniatures. Thankfully, that youthful exuberance and excitement has died its due course. Now I can look towards my sunset painting minis. Wow, what a vista. Lol.

Anyway, just been avoiding finishing off Ledru's and Razout's division (Ney's III Corps infantry), especially the detailing. With eight figure and six figure command stands, that's a lot of white strapping. Unfortunately my eyesight is slowly declining. And my painting skills seems to be deteriorating the more figures done. But I'm not caring by now; just want to finish this off so I can game the battle and cross it off my bucket list. So I had better get back to it.

Got these two divisions to finish detailing and flocking before I start and try and complete Friant's 2nd division (Davoust's I Corps). Which would then leave me with three more I Corps divisions to complete - Gerard, Dessaix, and Compans - to go before tackling Poniatowksi's two infantry divisions - Kaminiski and Kniaziewicz - and then the three Imperial Guard divisions of Roguet, Curial and Claparede. That should do the infantry.

Then it's finish off the cavalry before looking at the artillery and commander requirements for both sides. In-between I hope to start work on the Borodino features build for this OZTGG 21 project but not too fussed at nothing to report so far as it will get done. Just not sure when I'm likely to kick it over.

Out of interest, what ruleset do you lot down in Sydney use? I've been partial to FoGN for a long time now not out of like but because it suits tournament play. Which reminds me, planning a small FoGN 2 tournament (numbers local and by invite only) for the latter part of this year. But I am most keen to explore other viable tournament rulesets of the Napoleonic kind that I can integrate into the tournament scene. Have a couple of other rulesets lined up but details will reveal themselves in due course and time.

That, and possibly some aerial warfare aka Canvas Eagle type dogfights. And naval games which I would really love to run as an event. By then I will have more than enough spare FoGN 2 armies for those who want to participate but lack figures. Especially French and Russian. 

Take care.

Edited by b20f08

G'day again. We must have just missed each other online. I am in Canberra not Sydney - the wonder of the national engulfed with pollies and Woke crowd. Thankfully painting minis is not yet banned as yet lol! My local group played a bit of Black powder but for ACW. I tried to resurrect Shako 2 rules but not much interest as it is a bit detailed a I guess. Some of the old crew moved on the Napoleon At War and all the re-basing (Flames of War for Napoleonic's). I passed and everyone has kind of gone their own way. Also lost a few close mates in the last 12 months (damn COVID crap) and heart issues has quite limited gaming. So mostly solo and luckily my Hermit tendencies have worked for me. Got a small group (about 4 of us) that do board games and hopefully soon Rebel and Patriots Napoleonic in 28mm. Painting a 24 point Frence Force (incl. Dragoon skirmishers thank you  Perry bros).

Painting white is tricky for sure. Painting lots of 15mm Austrians means I respect anyone who does similar. 

You are doing awesome and are so dedicate it is inspiring. I really need to plan out some armies (Warmaster undead and empire,  28mm ACW, R&P naps, fantasy Orc & gobbos etc). Got lots of minis across multiples scales in the shed. Need to focus - bit scatty at the moment.

take care, chin up and stay positive (and maybe take out the Missus to dinner- I really need to do that too).

Apologies. Don't know where I got the Sydney location from.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friends to COVID. Cherish the memories when you can but move on. It's how they'd want it.

Yeah, losing all the old crowd. World is changing all the time.

Yeah, I started out as a solo gamer. Still my recourse whenever I get weary of listening to people talk up interest but never follow through. Bit hard that way but it's my precious spare time. Didn't know you could use Black Powder for ACW. Always used two core sets back in the day. Heard of Shako but never really looked into commercially produced sets for such a long time because I was happy with my Quarrie set (modified for solo play) for Napoleonics and Donald Featherstone's basic ruleset for ACW.

Speaking of old rulesets, I did an ezine interview with John Curry (UK) a few years back who runs The Wargaming Project, an enterprise preserving and bringing back the classic gaming rulesets like Fletcher Pratt's Naval Wargames from the 1930s and 40s. So, if you have a ruleset you liked from those periods you can always try John's site.

Yes, painting Austrians is hard for sure. Also agree about the respect to those who manage it successful (myself not included unfortunately). Thought it was simple and sweet. Fool me.

Good to hear you still have a core of fellow gamists to continue your love for the hobby. Am the same way with a regular opponent of late who's also a very good friend but we meet so irregular as he has a busy family and working life. We fit in time to catch up with whatever we can fit into a couple of hours gaming. Usually WW1 aerial because it can be quickly played out in an hour or less depending on how quick you can latch onto your opponent and shoot him down. FoGN 2 when we used to have a whole half day to spend. And Dragon Rampant because he loves his dwarves and I dislike the stumpy fellows because they look so ugly. Lol.

EDIT: 23 APRIL 2021

Never sat down to figure out the numbers for this until the past few days. As a cautionary tale, however, and for those interested, here are the numbers (roughly):

PART ONE - Russian infantry and cavalry - approximately 1390 figures. COMPLETED.

PART TWO - French infantry and cavalry - approximately 1960 figures. @ HALWAY COMPLETED.

PART THREE (yep, there's a Part Three) - Total artillery and command stands - Russian: 64 guns, 31 command stands; French/Allies: 72 guns, 50 command stands. Will commence this final part once all the French/Allied infantry and cavalry are painted and assembled.

After seeing the numbers, I realised quickly the total guns needs revising as I will have used conversion rates for each single battery instead of combining all the batteries in one formation and doing the conversion that way. Still, 136 guns is far too many for this refight but gives an idea the scale of this refight. I have also NOT included the artillery reserves for both sides which would push that total ridiculously higher. There will be some purchases made later on so it's why it's Part Three. Part Two can be completed without resorting to purchases.

Also PART THREE will also now include the terrain features - fortifications and villages (OZTGG21 project build). Expect this to take the longest to complete.

Discovering PART TWO will NOT be completed by end of April so am extending it into May. Regards.

NOTE: Figues subject to revision (maths is not my favourite subject).

============================

EDIT: 25 April 2021 (Lest We Forget)

Hi again.

Quick photo update of what's been achieved. Three more divisions added to mix of completed formations - Ledru, Razout, Friant. Hoping to finish two more tonight - Gerard and Dessaix. Have a safe long weekend.

1555570044_Flockedformationscombined.thumb.jpg.e240c7fa136e9cdf782c16b36d42881b.jpg

=================================

EDIT: 27 APRIL 2021

Division Dessaix completed. Only had two units to do so cheated a bit. Division Gerard is glaring at me. Don't worry, flocking will take another twenty minutes. Soft plastic. Taking longer partly as I'm starting with unpainted figures unlike most of the Russian which simply needed a fresh coat of paint or were at the base coat stage to begin with.

1058487335_DivisionDessaix.jpg.c23a2efa0d2f37ea929ed1d501d9ef11.jpg

Had a little help but the little tyke was enjoying paint water too much to be of any real use. So he was demoted back to cute kitten. Hard to find good help these days.

462422855_Olivertryingpaintwater.jpg.0d5bac512ba53acc07e384a9c2441471.jpg

Don't worry. Will post a half way stage group photo shortly. Cheers.

=======================================

EDIT: 29 APRIL 2021

A couple more formations completed - 7th Light (5 Bns) from Division Gerard and 57th Line "Le Terrible" (also 5 Bns) from Division Compans. Just needing flocking. Rest of Division Gerard - 12th Line and 21st Line (both 5 bns each) will get completed later on today. Then all I have to go is the remainder of Division Compans (three more units) which will finish off Davoust's 1st Corps. Then the Imperial Guard and Poniatowski's 5th Corps. Cheers.

2041608544_Compositeofbothregiments.jpg.0592decf1d106ed2901fbbeac1dfccb5.jpg

As promised, a group shot of the French & Allies - about halfway mark. Hope to finish the remainder by end of May now. Cheers.

1084718151_FrenchandAlliesprogressgroupshotCAPTIONED.jpg.1bc8e7ca6f9e4ca61d7101778d49bead.jpg

Edited by b20f08

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure you are not a machine? Don't work for Skynet right. T300o isn't your nickname then?

This is amazing Sir!

Your dedication and focus is remarkable (and a little scary for someone like me more scatty of the mind). Ah yes the 57th Ligne got their ' Les Terribe' name at Borodino if I remember taking one of the Fleches. Got be amazed at what these blokes did considering the smoke, heat, noise, and mates standing next to you getting decapitated by cannonballs (like in Mel Gibsons ' patriot) etc. From what I hear the uniforms were of bad quality too. Have to say the music of the period and esp. the "pas da charge" or "Marche de la Garde consulaire à Marengo" were impressive and can imagine them inspiring the troops (until decapitated or mutilated by cannon shot of course). 

Good thing us gamers nowadays are more civilised and prefer mock battles with wine, chips and cheese for intermission! That called being civilised. I like how your kitty tried to help but wasn't quite up to it. Our recent addition , a border collie now 7 months, is all paws, snout and 20 kgs of mass applied to places you don't expect/want! He'd chew a mini in sub-seconds and already had to save a fair few paint brushes.

You aren't too far away at all from finishing this mighty project. I take my hat off to you for your dedication and ability to churn through the backlog. Sadly my work and home mods, gardening, laundry is taking most of my life force at the moment. Still slow progess on my small 28mm french Perry minis (onto my second unit of 12 figs and prepping some skirmishers). All relative.  Still have my last 15mm Brit Royals (blues) regiment somewhere in the cupboard. Just need a lotto win to get on top of the lead/placcy pile.

Keep up the great work. I look forward to more updates and them a full family portrait of both sides. Do you have a table big enough though, or a camera capable of such a shot?

Take care

cheers

• Like 1

Yes, we are civilised, aren't we? 😉

Congrats on the new addition to the family. It'll be a sad day when our little Sam, our springer cross foxy (ah, he's a mess genetically but he's beloved) time is up. Lately he's been very quiet; I don't know if it's our new furkid addition but he's been very subdued of late. I know I will be a bit of a mess when I lose my buddy, Pippin, our Burmese cat. Enjoy your border collie.

Thanks on the praise. No, I'm just a historical fan who is very lazy - have been for much of my hobbying life. Now, I am just curious to see this project through because I would like to see what a big historical battle really looks like. Having the figures to actually achieve this helps. Don't have a table especial for this; I am going to have to create one. Got a fair idea on the size and scale: just had to pare down the battle area to the essential areas of which the Russian fortifications remain the central and main focal point. Thankfully Napoleon provided a simple straightforward frontal assault so the contested area was relatively "little".

As you hinted, this would have been a terrible fate for many knowing they had to go through this at that time. All we are able to do is simply pop another po-tate-toe chip into our mouth if we feel a little uncomfortable. Lol. Read Edward Foord's account of the battle and it opened a range of emotions I was not expecting. I guess when you die like that movie extra did on Mel Gibson's Patriot then it wouldn't matter because you would not see it coming to begin with. Imagine the bloodfest that was the Grand Redoubt when Caulaincourt fatally led his cuirassiers into that bloody cauldron. Had to smile over the controversy of who actually captured the redoubt in the end. Was it the French cuirassiers (as officially reported) or the Saxons and Westphalian heavy cavalry (who finally ousted the valiant Russian defenders and secured the redoubt once and for all)? We will never know because we haven't invented the time machine yet to know the full story. Perhaps we can get one of the current reliable news networks to find out for us, eh? 😄

Anyway, as pointed out, I am about halfway through this Part Two. Compans is the last division of Davoust's corps left to tackle but he might be bereft of suitable figures though as I nearly at the end of my infantry spare bitz. Poniatowski's corps might be a stretch as well but I've managed to assemble the vast majority of the two infantry brigades. And the Imperial Guard will also be thin in the ranks but who really cares. I have proxies to cover all these shortages however in an emergency. Or I could start converting a fair swag of unpainted spare Austrians. Not sure how I am happy about conversion of grenadiers though. The figures look wrong anyway, especially with the swag they're carrying (looking at the HaT figures especially).

I guess I should re-mention there are two more Parts to this. Part Three will be the addition of the artillery and commanders and any loose ends which start once Part Two is properly done. It will also include the build of the terrain/features (also as part of the OZTGG 21 project - thanks for the organiser who allowed us a year to complete this) and the table build. Actually going to have place this on our decking area because the table will be large but not massive. Part Four will be the proper dressing up of all involved, but that will be post-refight. I have a September deadline to meet.

Camera? Yes, I have an old digital. But so far still using my crappy mobile phone.

And I will be posting full OOBs and other details if anyone else is curious to refight this bloodiest of Nap battles (in any single day).

Always a pleasure to engage with a fellow historical gamer. And keep plugging away at those 28mm Perrys. Never really warmed to 15mm minis, not because they were ugly like dwarves but because 20mm have always remained my first love in minis. But it would be nice to see a freshly painted Blues regiment. Do you have the Royals to go with them? I still have a partial preference for the Union brigade (Waterloo) though as I have such a brigade in 20mm - the Inniskilling, Scots Greys and the Royals. I may have to finish off my tiny British force once I'm done with the Borodino Project. But I've already got a new project waiting in the wings. Less mammoth but ideal for a game with my fellow hobbyist mate.

Anyway, look after yourself. Flu season approaching. Already rugged up, even in Queensland, when painting at night.

===================

EDIT: 2 MAY 2021

Panicked a little earlier this morning. Found numbers of the French and Allies OOB courtesy of the famed Nafziger OOB collection and did a comparison against what I've been using as my guide. Discovered I've been selling myself short all the way through. I actually need more minis. Lol. But I am going to stay with my basic conversion rate and see this through to the end. It will still be a large refight game.

Finally reached the end of all those spare infantry minis from this original collection which I obtained back in October 2016. And thanks goes out to the guy up in Rockhampton who decided he'd had enough of these and disposed of them via a trade. Memory playing havoc because I thought this collection came from South Australia. Don't know where that came from though.

Anyway, Division Gerard is almost done. It's proving to be my speed bump at the moment. Once I do finish it though there's only Division Compans to go before I think I will switch to cavalry for the next WIP photo update. Am a little wee bit over painting Nap infantry for now. 😄Cheers.

=====================

EDIT: 4 MAY 2021

The remainder of Division Gerard finally completed. Some stands are missing which means I have finally used up all my spare Russian infantry. Therefore I will now be dipping into my Austrian infantry spares reserve to help complete these units and the rest of the French/Allied list. Just have to ignore the peculiarly Austrian swag they're carrying like I have done with the Russian kit when they were converted into French infantry.

703248780_DivisionGerard-12and21LineInf.jpg.477104668e1b1e3093c686480722e36e.jpg

Division Compans (below) with their drafted-in Austrian infantry before they receive their new French coats. Helps to explain to myself and the minis that this lot is from the Lorraine-Alsace region for their German accents. 😄

631664513_DivisionCompans-AustriansubstitutesforFrenchline.jpg.002e6779db382c8d255bff3ece5fc44e.jpg

The flags for each unit is unique to that particular unit. So some will feature numerous battle honours while others will be spartan or bereft. The qualifying criterion for battle honour is the unit must have fought directly under the Emperor Napoleon. For example, the two-battalion 127th Line from Division Gerard, comprising Germans from the Confederation region, have no battle honours while their brigade mate, the French 21st Line, is credited with five - Austerlitz, Jena, Eylau, Eckmuhl, and Wagram. Don't you just love military history?! 😍

================================

EDIT: 6 MAY 2021

Am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Spent last night blue coating two formations - Division Compans (converted Austrian line) and Poniatowski's V Corps (mix of early french light with plumes and Austrian line). Will try to finish them both off tonight in my all-nighter painting sessions.

1982210041_DivCompansbluecoated.jpg.941c9faa95a27d0de4a564419b3b3224.jpg

Above image shows the blue-coated Division Compans of I Corps. Below image is of the two Polish brigades of Poniatowski's V Corps also blue-coated. WIll attempt to finish this lot by tomorrow morning (another all-nighter). Will also attempt to scratch build the Polish standards as using ordinary foil and simple graphic program for the flags themselves. These may take a little longer as they will of lower priority than finishing off painting the minis.

1226903797_5Ctwobrigadesalsobluecoated.jpg.3314a95d35db0b3823239946361970f2.jpg

Also did a final assessment of artillery required for Part 3. Going with the corps total conversion figure as it's much less than using divisional conversion totals. So I now calculate that I need a total of 168 model guns. I have some batteries painted up and several more unassembled. I have the proxies (discovered the 12 pdr smoothbore from my ACW collection that can be drafted in as proxies as well). I still expect to buy more arty minis but hopefully the number will be much more accessible by then. Will update in a couple of weeks.

Cheers.

Edited by b20f08

What, only 168 guns models.  Strewth I have been painting for longer than I care to admit and in all the games systems and era I have mucked about with I'd be lucky to have painted a quarter of that number. Got to love this grandscale type of work. You could do Leipzig after this one!

Can' t believe it has already been a week since I last commented. Hope you are doing well. You certainly are cracking on with it an all. Some great progress being made for sure. I managed to finish 5 perry 28mm french line infantry type chaps and made a good start on 6 voltigeurs in the last week. I reckon I am almost caught up with you lol.

Did you ever read the Clash of Eagles Black powder supplement for 1812 russian campaign? Got some nice stuff and inspiring photos too if you ever find your motivation wandering. Of course it aimed at the BP game but its a mighty tome for sure and maybe some smaller scenarios for you to try out.

• Like 1

'Grats on the progress with your painting. Look forward to seeing it displayed here. Small, medium, large, or monster-sized, every completed piece brings great personal satisfaction. If others gain some degree of enjoyment, well and good. But it's a bonus really.

Experienced that sense of personal enjoyment and satisfaction when I was tackling my umpteenth figure a couple of days ago. Got me feeling all happy and motivated...while it lasted. 

Can I pass on the Leipzig project? One big project is enough for one lifetime. 🙂 Yes, the quantity of guns is large indeed but a big battle deserves it. I know we historical types tend to scale things down to fit a small table but sometimes it's hard to gain a proper sense of true size and magnitude of these engagements over our refreshments. Mind you, my math is horrendous these day so perhaps it's meant to be 68 or 33 guns?! 😄

The Leipzig 1813 project done several years back by those German enthusiasts (scale of 1:1) really blew me away and gave me a proper sense of scale that lingered long after. Maybe one day I can travel to Germany and the museum where part of that project is housed alongside other awesome works. Guy who was involved in that Leipzig venture is now doing a Rorke's Drift display at 1:1 scale. Can't wait to see it finished because his vision is first-rate.

I will have a look at the BP supplement if I can get hold of it. Too much reading material in my library these days sadly. I used to love reading in my youth. Lost youth.

Was meant to finish both Division Compans and Poniatowski's V Corps the other day. Got as far as almost completing the former but then took a break and got sidetracked and never returned to my task. Hopefully, I can finish these two tasks by end of this weekend so I can make a start on the Imperial Guard infantry. But I will now have to fit it in with my War of 1812 solo game, another task. No rest for the wicked or stupid, as they say these days.

8 hours ago, Plasman said:

.... and to think I only partly painted four British riflemen 1/72 models today to take a break from painting 40k figures. This is some great dedication!

More foolhardy for biting off more than I could digest but thank you. Unfortunately my usual break from historical painting includes getting hammered in PC gaming. No matter how hard I try. Not sure it rates as a break though although I find the overall experience oddly entertaining. 🙂

=====================

EDIT: 10 MAY 2021

Finally finished Division Compans in terms of painting. Only flocking left to go but will hold off while I race to complete Poniatowski's V Corps which is about half done. Will post pictures of the pair later on tonight.

Edited by b20f08

On 5/10/2021 at 7:28 AM, kendar said:

You... Sir ... are a machine!   My hat goes off to you.    I can only dream of finishing 1/20th of you have done to date. 

Hey kendar. Good to hear from you, mate.

Sorry for not posting as promised. Coming down with flu. About to crash now but here are the latest completed and updates of the entire French and Allied force.

1482898898_Paintedandflockedthissession.jpg.3a1834fae75615bf04d7c40d54ec0604.jpg

Got tied up with the finer details of Poniatowski's corps - plumes and so forth. Davoust's I Corps is now complete having finished Division Compans first. Waited for the two divisions of the V Corps before flocking which was finished tonight. These are displayed as regiments in line so V Corps 16th Division has 3 regiments - 3rd, 15th and 16th Line while 18th Division also has 3 regiments - 2nd, 8th and 12th Line. Will be scratch building the standards with their eagle so they can join their fellow comrades.

The regiments of Division Compans are from front to back 111th Line, 61st Line and 25th Line. The 57th Line were done a couple of weeks back. Historical account I've used to assemble this formation state that the 61st Line heavily in the preceding assault on the Shevardino redoubt when Napoleon ordered Division Compans to take the feature. So did the other units as another account details, particularly 111th Line which lost similarly so I have taken the grand liberty of shortening its five battalions to three instead of the 61st Line who are running at the five battalion per regiment.

261375406_FrenchandAlliedinfantryandcavalryasat11May21CAPTIONED.jpg.0d09ed403f193d530d742c5f9f9a27f6.jpg

Current table update. Major infantry force left is the Imperial Guard. Will start that after I get over this flu. Missing from the III Corps listing is the 25th (Wurttemburg) Division (in name only). Just have to draw the Wurttemburgers (done ages ago) from the display shelf.

Finally bought the holesaw blade and shank the other day: going to cut out 60mm dia MDF bases for the commanders (80+ I believe). Would 3D print them but it might take me forever so this is more practicable. It ties in with my resolve to do this project on a budget and trying to remain as resourceful as possible without the need to make further purchases...yet.

Also pulled out the artillery from my archived ACW collection which will provide the start for the Frenchies as they still used Napoleonic smoothbores in 1861. Of course, I will have to find new gun crews. These are Johnny Reb crews by the way...some of them; the rest are in storage. Similar quantities with the Union farm boys.

Cheers.

203166768_ACWConfederateartilleryarrayedforreview.jpg.4d27166b7200f6658cbd3124b8ba80b3.jpg

=====================

EDIT: 13 MAY 2021

What two table's worth of minis looks like at the moment.

847992336_CombinedlookCAPTIONED.thumb.jpg.1ee8a9ced2c97de8ea7e6bb78e87a120.jpg

Edited by b20f08
  • Like 1

Thanks krefey. Yeah, I only thought of your biz after I had done all the prelimary preparations for creating these MDF round bases. Lol. Unfortunately I now have to justify the expenditure of the holesaw blade. Maybe next project -- if I ever survive this one. 🙂

Got over the flu after a decent rest and am now deliberately taking it easy.

Started the French Imperial Guard the night after the fever broke. I was pleasantly surprised to find I actually have enough to finish them off. That's the two French guardsmen divisions of Roguet and Curial only. The Vistula Legion can use the Austrian spares.

Taking another "breather" by doing something else for now. Will get back into Borodino shortly. Deadline of end of May not looking good either so may have to extend to somewhere in June. Still no start made on the OZTTG project; it's now so integrated into Part Three of this project. When Part Three begins is up in the air at the moment.

Making small inroads into the artillery shortfall. Found a pile of unwanted 20mm artillery overseas tonight. In one of those usual coincidences you come across in life the fellow is also doing Poniatowski's V Corps but using the top-end quality Zvezda figurines. It looks these are the old Esci and crappy Airfix French artillery which are really badly moulded. I know and love Zvezda from their small kits of WW2 figures and remain among the top-end producers of 20mm plastic figurines because they don't waste their figurines like the old Airfix models were. I tend to liken them to Perry's 28mm although not with the same creative flair as the well-known English brothers. Or offer the awesome variety as offered with the 20mm FranzNap figurines (metal). But as I am slowly finding out, the 20mm market is not as limited as once thought. For example the superb work of Mr. Wolfgang Meyer is continuing with his current display project - Rorke's Drift. Image of WIP is by Wolfgang Meyer.

May be an image of outdoors

Will likely get stuck into the Italian dragoons next once I'm done with the infantry. Add in conversions (mostly painting, some build) for the copius amount of Chasseurs a cheval still needed which are looking pretty sparse at the present moment.

===============

EDIT: 20 MAY 2021

I should add that the amazing Mr Meyer (above photo) sources local 20mm mini manufacturers for his displays. Just enough detailing and variance in poses. Maybe 20mm does work best as display minis.

Update on Borodino Project. Not much has happened. Basecoated the Imperial Guard using white few days ago. Did the blackening yesterday. But am still feeling weak at the moment from recovering over the flu; also had my COVID vaccination early this week and had a similar reaction to my wife: thought the flu was making a return. So focus and energy is below par at the moment. Hopefully it'll return next week.

Sale for those overseas arty pieces fell through due to problems with PayPal and my ongoing conflict with them. Looks like I'll be sourcing locally. Not to worry. It'll all sort itself out; invariably does.

Had a funny encounter with the local pest people who came round yesterday to spray and protect. Guy saw the dinner room table and enquired what was I likely to do with my "ornaments". I was about to reply that the correct term is mandollies, but I suspect he would not get the joke. So I told him I would be piling them into a small bonfire once I'm done with the project. He went away suitably impressed that I was mad. We have to maintain our image at times that we are eccentric. 😁

Edited by b20f08
  • Like 1

Yes I am sure the pest guy thinks you are a raving loon! Glad to hear you are on the mend. Not very nice being sick. Also makes everything much more difficult than when you are well. Sorry to hear you international deal fell through. About 30 years ago I could have helped you out with 1/72 plastics.

Rorke drift looks amazing. I think the escii zulus are pretty nice too .

PS: I finished my 6 Voltigeurs and working on my 28mm Perry French artillery piece next - tally ho!

take care

cheers

• Like 1

Good to hear from you and to know you are making small steps by slowly getting back into painting. They say movement helps the inactive mind; I'd stress emphatically that any movement is healthy for the mind and soul. The older one gets, the harder it is to engage with life as all you want to do is retreat within yourself and your memories, especially when life knocks you about at times. I'm always happy to see, hear and know that others are still making the effort to continue the journey. And what better way than "suiting up one's mandollies or ornaments"? 😄

How many French arty are you doing this time? Obviously am a fan of the Perrys but not personally interested in 28mm figurines. Still got a bunch of 28mm Napoleonics (Austrian infantry, Russian gunners and Spanish dragoons from different brand) sitting half-completed and strewn all over my studio. Or as the pest people dubbed it on their official certification the "HQ War Office"! 😂

You should showcase your work here as well if you're needing some further motivation. This is the ideal environment (thanks to krefey mainly for setting this place up and his core of helpers to induce us shy ones from our hobbying alcoves) because all here share the same love and interest in miniatures. It's not just a place for the talented types: simple joes like you and I get to use this space. Often any constructive criticism given turns out to be praise and encouragement anyway. Not meaning to preach the obvious but this place is a Godsend after the unfortunate demise of WAU.

It's certainly helping me keep on track with my mammoth Borodino project one. I have indeed finished off all those Russians I bought back in 2016, after one or two false starts. That's one item on my basic bucket list crossed off. So there's no further incentive to continue except that I tied this painting quest to a grand idea I've had floating and fermenting for a long time and now it's seen the light and in need of fruition. At the halfway stage now. Still further to go. It's like those route marches with full FSMO - hard grind. Stay focussed.

Still recovering healthwise but stronger than the past few days ago. Back to the grindstone soon.

Safe travels.

===========================

EDIT POST: 25 MAY 2021

Finished off Michel's brigade of the Old Guard - 1st and 2nd Grenadier Guards. Gone with 6 figs per stands (except command stand which is now 5 figures). No flags as I've forgotten to print them out.

270478577_Michelsbrigade3rdGuardsDivision(Curial)FrenchImperialGuard.jpg.a48bdbb9309f6937275259f23abdb3b7.jpg

Now working on Boyer's brigade to complete this formation which is Curial's 3rd Guards Division. Or Old Guard. Will work on the Young Guard tomorrow or thereabouts.

Now extending completion deadline of this French and Allied list to some time in mid-June as it's taking longer than expected. Cheers.

=========================

POST EDIT: 27 MAY 2021

Two more formations done - Boyer's brigade of Foot Chasseurs (Old Guard) and Lanabere's brigade of Guard Tirailleurs and Voltigeurs (Young Guard). Just Boyledieu's brigade of Middle Guard to finish off before tackling Claparede's Polish Vistula Legion.

1612648508_FIG-BoyersBde-OldGd.jpg.ce55b98971c2223363c2d10e8f058de7.jpg

1980412452_FIG-LanaberesBdeYoungGd.jpg.662a84a4db7bb9f1ebbe6840e4096f54.jpg

Using HaT figures this time round. Chunkier and therefore less space on the sixty by forty stands. This means seven or six figures (depending on figures and their poses). Helps to extend the remaining available figures. Hoping to make a start on the Guard cavalry by end of week. Cheers.

POST EDIT: 31 MAY 2021

Finished the last of the Imperial Guard infantry today. Brigade Boyledieu's Middle Guard units - Fusilier Chasseurs and Fusilier Grenadiers.

292235898_MiddleGuard-FusilierChasseurs.jpg.e0c08274985bbf047603c718453679ab.jpg

2068789115_MiddleGuard-FusilierGrenadiers.jpg.11a5e3b69668a134dbd76c3b8f57b6b5.jpg

And Claparede's Vistula Legion. Was never going to include the Imperial Guard cavalry by the initial deadline set. But planning to finish the entire group off and thus Part Two in the next week or so. Then take a short break before commencing Part Three - gathering the artillery (one hundred and thirty three guns) and the eighty plus commanders and their stands.

1683244938_DivisionClaparede-PolishVistulaLegion.jpg.321d211cc3321aa701c4726e45c6a49f.jpg

Till next post.

=================================

POST EDIT: 6 JUNE 2021

D-Day anniversary (seventy-seventh).

New month. Same old grind. Taken a break after finishing off last of the French/Allied infantry (with some exceptions but they aren't interfering with the schedule so far). At the moment thinking of storage for the thousands of minis which need to move off the folding tables I've erected in my studio so I can reclaim that space for some tabletop gaming and my ongoing art works.

1219788462_FrenchandAlliedtable.jpg.0d688187bab18b713b3f29fe551d87ca.jpg

French/Allied table with the completed infantry (above). Completed Russian table (infantry and cavalry (below).

307102636_Russiantable.jpg.ee7f67bb5502d6823682334349bc0264.jpg

Went to the local $2 shop for storage containers. Did not have a clear idea upon arriving but once there it didn't take long to figure out a simple working solution - containers within bins.

1195140796_Interiorshowingstackedcontainers.jpg.021f4d7f5ea922d2c7e661ac103fffd8.jpg

Not exactly the perfect fit but you go with what's given at the time. Bought a large 120L container with enough space to fit twenty of these nice little 2.5L store and stack containers (got some units inside to show the storage capacity). Currently the fit is fifteen comfortably (three rows of five stacks). The spares can be for loose or terrain. As I'm working with 60 x 40mm stands that means I can comfortably fit fourteen such stands (fit is two stands abreast in seven ranks as evidenced in photo above).

OZTGG 2021 Project will finally make a start this month but priority is finishing off the cavalry first which I am hoping to achieve in a determined drive over the next two weeks. Looking at starting the Borodino orthodox church as it's an interesting build and that always grabs my attention.

Also entering the waters of potential disaster here as I'm going to attempt something that is normally the domain of women - multi-tasking. Yes, going to put on my hardhat and work gloves and attempt to do several tasks at the same time - (1) finishing off the French/Allied cavalry, (2) make an OZTGG 2021 start, (3) locate and assemble all the artillery I have in my possession, and (4) cut out the commander's stands with my hole saw. Please, say a prayer for this lost soul. Oh, and Mum's the word.

POST EDIT: 7 JULY 2021

Two more cavalry units completed - Guard Chasseurs a Cheval and Empress Dragoons. In the Chasseurs (foreground, rear rank, closest figure) is one lone Mameluk. Chasseurs come from the Italeri French headquarter set while the Dragoons are line dragoons (also Italeri). The dragoons were painted previously as a mix of line units with yellow and orange facings; just changed the facings and repainted trumpeter as Guardsman. The Chasseurs were painted from sprue as was the lone Mameluk.

1408993839_GdChasseursMamelukandEmpressDragoons.jpg.ddbb17b6ac3d25dda0fed655c844c571.jpg

Cheers

=============================

POST EDIT: 8 JULY 2021

Some more cavalry units completed, this time the two dragoon units from the Royal Italian Guard (Eugene's IV Corps) - the Royal Guard (white facings) and the Queen's Dragoons (pink facings). Both are Italeri Line Dragoons, pre-painted and repainted as Italians. Some further detailing done on the mounts. Incorrect colouring of horses but who's going to know except other Nap fans?!

1137794846_RoyalItalianGuard-dragoons.jpg.acc5b7165cca2354e37cd7a08af1500f.jpg

Cheers.

==============================

Edited by b20f08

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck with the multi-tasking thingo!

Guard troops are really nice and always add some extra character to any French force. Don't know much about the Italian guard but imagine the cavalry must have been pretty good (well what was left of it by the time of Borodino - imagine using painting up the original invasion army order of battle of what was it - 600,000?). Can't imagine they would have retained the horse colour per unit idea by the time of battle. Heck having any horse would have been a good start.

Good idea with the storage. Deployed troops do take up a lot of space for sure and in my place gather dust and dog hair! I have a two cupboards in the shed and then about two piles of containers and boxes of minis and terrain. 

Hope things are going well.

cheers

All good, thanks. Still wading through all this. Lol. Still can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah, reading up on Borodino is depressing though. Read somewhere the horses weren't in good condition (French were pretty lacksidaisical with caring for their mounts) by the time of Borodino. Don't know much on the Royal Italian Guard but figured they were good enough. I read the Garde d'Honneur (companies from districts/towns) were good enough to be inducted into the Imperial Guard. High honour indeed.

1149086790_FrenchandAlliedcuirassiersmostlydoneTAGGED.jpg.b68b3dc10d021529b1bdada727ed008b.jpg

Been pushing through these cuirassiers (heavy cav for uninitiated). Touch ups, repainted, build from scratch. Spaces in some are for chevauleger lanciers which I'll purchase next month. Proxying too in the case of the Westphalian cuirassiers (Lorge's division) as they were pretty close to their French counterpart except for the comb crest. Missing a stand of Polish cuirassiers. Will fix that in due course.

Now on to the light cavalry elements - hussars, chasseurs a cheval, uhlans.

Next post hope to present something from the OZTGG 2021 project. Not sure what but it will be something and a start finally. Cheers.

Those Cuirassiers look great en masse. I would not have liked to face them (esp in condition like at Eylau with low visibility - you could feel the ground shake but couldn't see them till they were close).  The Westphalians sure had a pretty uniform (and Eureka minis just mentioned that the 15mm AB variants are just now available - real pretty sculpts).  I think I have about 8 regiments of French cuirassiers and a couple of the SAxon heavy cav regiments,in 15mm.

Good luck with the new project and also tackling the light cavalry. Hussars are pretty guys to look for sure.

cheers

Lol. Thanks.

It's often the case a pretty look does not mean a martial look. Eureka are a quality product. Shame I never started collecting 15mm however. Nothing like massed cavalry on the table. Saxons, to me, were absolutely awesome. Shame they never got due credit for finally capturing the Grand Redoubt. Can't wait to paint them when I finally buy some next month.

d'Hautpol is my favourite cuirassier commander. Found a recent painting of him by Eduoard Detaille, noted military artist from the 19th century. Impressive looking figure; just that right amount of "I am one tough hombre, so come at me" look.  A real cuirassier.

826919085_Detaille_-_Le_General_dHautpoul_a_Cheval.thumb.jpg.eb0c5c7433150161cf05b166b806a753.jpg

Edited by b20f08

In our game of FoGN, I often call cuirassiers Death Stars especially when they are designated Shock Heavy cavalry, and are Veterans. They're literal steamrollers, crushing any and everything in their path.

POST EDIT: 15 JUNE 2021

Finished today: Lancers of the Imperial Guard - Polish Lancers and Dutch "Red" Lancers. Cheers.

1691093803_LancersoftheFrenchImperialGuard.jpg.f88bb5b7aa3679b08e2291b55e54b4cb.jpg

Edited by b20f08

Yeah that is true but the hussar's got the ladies I reckon so it certainly worked for them. And I was on the receiving end of a clash with French Carabiniers quite a few years ago and my Austrian Brigade of Lancers and Hussar got smashed so bad they were completely wiped out. The Frenchies were "blown" for a turn, which they recovered from,  but besides that not a scratch. Shesh - that's my dice rolling tho. Was a Shako game and lots of fun even if I did get a new one torn. So yeah the frecnh heavy cav steam roller really can work especially against disorganised infantry softened up by arty.

The d'Hautpol and Nansouty figs are a set from AB I have a few of and they make great generals for the french heavy cavalry and are such lovely sculpts.  I had not seen that picture of d'Hautpol before so thanks for posting it - come at me bro kinda look he has! Its a great reference for painting from for a cuirassier general (I also have all 8 Austrian regiments painted also in 15mm, and have managed to crank out 2 Russian regiments too). Shame the Prussian Cuirassiers didn't have armour. I should probs get some of the 15mm AB's tho as I sold of my 28mm Prussians (a few Corps worth) many years ago but still miss them (had to sell for $$$ reason sadly). 

Love the lancers of the guard too. Are they Esci figs? Great uniforms but of course you'd expect that for a guards unit unless in 1815. You can use a lot of these french figures for so many campaigns.

cheers